Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Thread: NEW New Computer Tweakathread

Well I ordered all kinds of things and they should be arriving on Thursday! Not sure I will have the time to put the thing together before I leave on Saturday and am gone all next week. I will keep everyone updated with how the build goes once it does go.

Woooo!

It's time. I'm setting out to put some serious money into this thing so I'm not rebuilding it in 20 months like I did the last time. According to logical increments, the Ram (DDR4) and Processor (i5 or i7) that are recommended for the Excellent level both work with my current motherboard. I don't think I care about any new features that the new motherboards have, but am I going to be handicapping myself if I stick with the same motherboard? When I look at motherboards they don't seem to say much about how fast they are or aren't, it's mostly about sockets and slots and whatnot. Maybe I need to do some research into what "modern" motherboards give you.

I'm hoping to score a decent video card from my brother who seems to replace his every 45 seconds. I'm still waiting to hear back on how outdated his latest discard is.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnorlin View Post
    I don't think I care about any new features that the new motherboards have, but am I going to be handicapping myself if I stick with the same motherboard?
    I mean, it's only the one component that all the other components plug into... it's got more capacitors and shit than literally anything else in your computer, and it's assembled in China and sold for $100... I'm sure it's totally failsafe!

Quote Originally Posted by Gnorlin View Post
    I'm hoping to score a decent video card from my brother who seems to replace his every 45 seconds. I'm still waiting to hear back on how outdated his latest discard is.
    Good call, crypto miners have got the GPU marketplace in a bad spot right now.

A few minutes of research answered my question. I will need a new motherboard because it supports DDR4 but not the SPEED of DDR4 that is available today.

I was upset that my computer was nearly obsolete after 20 months but it turns out that I had my dates wrong. I was basing it off my order history and 2016 was the last time I bought computer components. But that was apparently when I built a computer for the kids. My PC is actually 4 years old, which seems a more reasonable time frame. I'm trying to decide if I would rather have a mostly updated computer now and replace the video card in like 6 months when video card prices come down. Or if it would be better to wait the 6 months and then build a complete PC at that point. There definitely could be better components that would come out in the next 6 months...

Computer history gets complicated when you start replacing parts of computers. I bought a whole computer 8-9 years ago. Then I spent the next 5-6 years bolting parts on and keeping it mostly up-to-date. It started having problems I couldn't figure out, though. Eventually it's time to throw your hands up, roll your eyes, make a disgusted sound in the back of your throat, and buy a whole new computer again.

I don't know what I'm doing!

The only difference between these 4 cards is a slight clock speed difference and 2 fans vs 1. I'm still waiting for the price to come down more but which the fuck card do I pick?!?

They all have 1 HDMI, but the REV 2.0 versions have 3 DisplayPort, 1 DVI. The other (1.0, I guess) two versions have 1 Displayport, 2 DVI.

The biggest difference is the size of the cards. The REV 2.0 versions are 11" long, the other two are smaller. The first one is barely half the size of the big ones (6.6"). The 3 bigger ones also support 8K displays, and it looks like they have customizable LED lighting. The first, smallest card doesn't.

If you can live without 8K and don't want a minor bump in clock speed, the first one will save you 40 bucks.

EDIT: For the record, I paid $565 for this card in January 2015. Two years later, and even with crypto fucking everything up, you're paying $200+ less for significantly higher clock speed, 50% more VRAM, and lower power requirements. Technology marches onward!
    Last edited by Macheath; 03-28-2018 at 08:57 AM.