Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324

Thread: NEW New Computer Tweakathread

During Windows setup, I named my computer "Drew's Gaming Rig". No issues as it let it go through. It then created an Admin User apparently named "Drew's Gaming Rig" as well. Fine. Well, except Minecraft hates paths with apostrophes in them so it crashes when trying to do anything that directs it to create a file in the "Drew's Gaming Rig" user folder.

For the life of me, I don't know how to change that at this point. I can't even find it anywhere other than as the folder name.

EDIT: Might have fixed it, but gonna take awhile to find out
    Last edited by Drewbie; 02-18-2019 at 11:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbie View Post
    I named my computer "Drew's Gaming Rig". It then created an Admin User apparently named "Drew's Gaming Rig" as well.
    That... seems wrong. Open Control Panel, click "User Accounts" once or twice, until you see a link to "Change your account name."

Yea, that doesn't work. I blew it all up and did a fresh install since everything was just fucking stupid. I let it go overnight cause it was after midnight and I was tired and I woke up this morning to it not asking me that question and now the default user is "dsyri" somehow, but I suspect that'll work for things so fuck it, I don't care anymore.

Okay. My computer is named "hyperion" and my username is "ben." No idea how you got wrapped around a tree there.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbie View Post
    ..default user is "dsyri" somehow..
    So Drew is now Desiree. Welcome Desiree.

Long ass video, but this guy's careful attention to cable management gives me a stiffy. I feel so much shame for my lifetime of haphazardly assembled computers.

Look at the thumbnail: that's the finished product. Can't see a single wire. And he didn't do anything outlandish, just cable ties and a cheap case.

I wasn't sure which thread to put this in, so...

The other day Microsoft decided that my Windows 10 box needed to be updated, so it updated.

Something went wrong and my PC wouldn't boot. I'd either get a blank screen or I'd get the blue screen of death.

I looked up the error code 0xc0000225 and apparently that means my BCD was corrupted. I never heard of the BCD before.

Then I looked up how to fix it. There were about five things to try all requiring me to bring up the recovery tools. Just boot off a USB drive or the Windows 10 DVD.

Uh, I upgraded to Windows 10 from, I think Windows 8, which I upgraded to from Windows 7. I never had Windows 10 media.

No problem, just download Windows Media Creator and build one. Uh, my PC won't boot, so no.

My wife's Mac to the rescue! It had BootCamp (or some name like that) with the ability to take a Windows 10 ISO file and build a bootable USB drive. Nice!

So, I then try to boot up my PC with the USB drive. After trying several combinations of menu options and removing the USB drive, it finally brings up the recovery tools. Yay, I'm almost done!

Uh, nope. I went through the five things (including bootrec, diskpart, bootsect, all of which I had never heard of before) and nothing worked. The last resort is reinstalling Windows. Ick.

So I then go back into the command prompt and flail around doing the 5 things in random order. Eventually something worked and my PC came back to me. I doubt I could make it happen again if I had to.

Okay, so, first things first, let's create a recovery drive.

Nope, something went wrong creating a recovery drive. We won't tell you what went wrong. It's enough to merely tell you that something went wrong.

Back to Googling what the heck to do.

Another set of things to try (sfc, chkdsk, diskpart - again, sfc pointing to a mounted downloaded ISO file)

None of them help.

It seems I have some sort of corruption in some system files and nothing so far fixes it.

I previously arranged for a call from Microsoft support for tomorrow at 3pm. That should be fun. I can't wait for some 1st tier support person to ask me if my PC is plugged in.

Hey Microsoft, if you're going to force an upgrade, you should probably be 100% certain that it's not going to fail. And if it fails it should be easily recoverable.

At least my PC is usable at this point. I'm pretty paranoid about shutting it down, though. I'm going to be white knuckling it every time I start it up for a while.
    - Definitely

I talked to Microsoft today and I have to say, so far I'm impressed with the level of service I've gotten. The 1st tier person put me right through to a 2nd tier person. The 2nd tier person did some stuff which didn't work, but was reasonable to try, and then put me through to the 3rd tier person. We'll see how they handle it from here.
    - Definitely

Color me astounded.

You want astounded? How about this. The person yesterday gave me a case number and an 800 number to call. After finding my way through the automated menu I gave the person my case number and they routed me to another technician. The technician actually read the case comments so I didn't have to repeat everything that happened and then recommended the correct course of action which fixed my PC.

I'm in bizarro world.
    - Definitely