Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast

Thread: NEW New Computer Tweakathread

Not helpful for the current discussion, but I've been using a Dell 2405FPW since about 2004. It was an expensive luxury item when I bought it, and it still works beautifully to this day (little bit of burn-in, but that's about it).

More recently, I've been dealing with a lot of LG monitors in my life. I bought myself a 27-inch LG 27MP36HQ-B in 2015 for around $200, and then for my wife, a 32-inch LG 32MA68HY-P in 2017 for around $200 again. So it seems like prices are coming down pretty quickly. Both LG monitors have been great at home, and Intuit started buying LG monitors (nicer ones, maybe the LG 27UK850-W, not sure) for its employees when Apple stopped making the Cinema Display.

So I see LG as the place to go, but Dell also holds a special place in my heart.

I've never looked for a 144Hz or UHD screen. If I get one of those, I'll probably be stuck and never able to downgrade.

Dammit, now I want a UHD monitor. I want something big too. My kids like to watch me play games which is difficult because they all want to have the best view so Rory ends up on my lap and leaning most of his 45 pounds right on my mouse arm. So I either need a larger monitor or I have to hope one of them doesn't like video games anymore soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnorlin View Post
    Dammit, now I want a UHD monitor. I want something big too. My kids like to watch me play games which is difficult because they all want to have the best view so Rory ends up on my lap and leaning most of his 45 pounds right on my mouse arm. So I either need a larger monitor or I have to hope one of them doesn't like video games anymore soon.
    You can always mirror it to a nearby TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    Not helpful for the current discussion, but I've been using a Dell 2405FPW since about 2004. It was an expensive luxury item when I bought it, and it still works beautifully to this day (little bit of burn-in, but that's about it).

More recently, I've been dealing with a lot of LG monitors in my life. I bought myself a 27-inch LG 27MP36HQ-B in 2015 for around $200, and then for my wife, a 32-inch LG 32MA68HY-P in 2017 for around $200 again. So it seems like prices are coming down pretty quickly. Both LG monitors have been great at home, and Intuit started buying LG monitors (nicer ones, maybe the LG 27UK850-W, not sure) for its employees when Apple stopped making the Cinema Display.

So I see LG as the place to go, but Dell also holds a special place in my heart.

I've never looked for a 144Hz or UHD screen. If I get one of those, I'll probably be stuck and never able to downgrade.
    According to my display settings I have a Dell 2005FPW. I'm not sure when I bought it, but circa 2004 seems about right. It was hot stuff when I got it. It's worked flawlessly up to now.

I'm leaning toward the Dell since this one was so good.
    - Definitely

My next computer won't come from Puget Systems, but I'll certainly piggyback on their extensive benchmarking process to find out what components work best together. Plus, they use pretty awesome-looking cases, so I'll also piggyback on their case-choosing expertise.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/desktop.php

Well, I say my next beast "won't come from Puget Systems," but it really looks like they do a nice job, so I dunno. We'll see what their premium is, when compared to the price of the raw parts + my time and effort to assemble and configure.

Against my natural cheapskate tendencies I wound up getting the ASUS ROG PG279Q. Everyone pointed out to me that since I get a new monitor every 14 years I should pay more and get something really good.

Some of the reviews warned of light bleed and dead pixels, but most were really positive, so we'll see. If it sucks I can send it back.
    - Definitely

Just found this... the Compaq Presario 2200... all black, speakers built right in. My first computer, I bought it when I graduated from high school and was going off to college. Blast from the paaast.

According to Wikipedia, it's possible Compaq sold as few as 300 of these things. I wish I still had mine.

I was shopping for RAM. But I also need a new HD. Looks like I could use a new motherboard to accommodate DDR4. Video card is getting old too.

Shit.

Today I buy the RAM and HD. I need a new car before I need to update the PC.

Memory and HD should be relatively cheap upgrades. Take care of everything else later! Things are in a good place now, price wise.

Ok boys, it looks I'm gonna need to build a new PC. The only thing I have to build upon is a case. I will likely migrate my HD's over (at least my SSD), but otherwise I need everything.

Have any of you been eyeing components? I know Liuv is rebuilding his, so what'd you go with? Ideally, I'd like to budget maybe $1000 to this endeavor, or less if I can pull it off. I'd like to leave my old one functional as something my kids can use, but really the only thing I'd consider taking out of it would be the power supply, which is too cheap to replace to worry about.