Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425

Thread: NEW New Computer Tweakathread

My computer is about to hit the 5 year old mark, in January 2020. It's still doing the job, but certain parts of it are starting to seem a little crusty. Specifically, I worry about the hard drives. I may want to build a whole new PC soon, but first let's run some benchmarks and see how I'm doing.

The days of 3DMark are long behind us. I decided to look up some newer tools, and first of all:

I did not know motherboard benchmarks existed, but I've had experiences with mobo firmware causing audio/video latency issues in the past, and a suite of hardware tests might have helped me figure it out faster.

So, I'm gonna spend an hour of my Thanksgiving afternoon finding my PC's hot spots. If you want to follow along, I know some of you have much newer computers than me, so I'm curious to see how I stack up in comparison.

First, my brief review of these tests:

• Blender Benchmark lets you compare your score against the average score. Which doesn't really tell me what's good or bad.
    • Unigine is a 3DMark style "beauty pageant" demo, but its score list is a dong length contest. There's no indication of good, bad, average, acceptable score ranges... just a bunch of dudes trying to set a world record. So I'm hoping some of you guys will give me real world results to compare against.
    • HWBOT is the same way, just without the beauty pageant.
    • Cinebench probably does the best job of letting you compare your results against other CPUs in the market, which is nice.

My results are hard to interpret:

Blender Benchmark (bmw) My PC: 180.5 seconds Average reported score: 338.2 seconds
    Blender Benchmark (classroom) My PC: 504.8 seconds Average reported score: 1041.8 seconds
    Unigine Superposition (1080p medium) My PC: 9,061 pts Longest dong in the world: 33,781 pts
    HWBOT Prime (quick) My PC: 5,901.65 pps Longest dong in the world: 16,237.94 pps
    Cinebench R20 (multi-core) My PC: 2,010 pts Other CPU scores
    Cinebench R20 (single-core) My PC: 417 pts Other CPU scores

This is oddly entertaining:
    - Definitely

My daughter has been suffering with online school using a wheezing ancient MacBook Pro.

Her needs are simple so I was thinking of getting her a new Chromebook.

What's the general feeling out there about Chromebooks?

She pretty much needs to be able to do stuff online and Zoom. She does her gaming on the Swiitch, so there's no need for this thing to be crazy performant.

I'm suffering from analysis paralysis.
    - Definitely

I imagine a Chromebook is great for a study laptop, if you mainly need stuff that can be browser-based (note taking, PDF reading, google docs, etc.) because the whole OS is built on top of the Chrome browser, as far as I'm aware.

If you need specific software, you might prefer a Windows laptop. But "stuff online and Zoom" sounds Chromebook appropriate to me.

Just piloted 2 chromebooks for my kids instead of their iPads. (Disclaimer - we signed our kids up for a virtual only academy this year due to the crazy stupid people around us so schooling is more like homeschooling than classroom led) One issue we have is they want you to submit work from printed worksheets, which was fine with a rear facing camera on the iPad when the kids did it on paper but no good on the chromebook. However, the chromebook should work for you as long as mostly everything is through the browser or even better if the school uses google set of tools (which our district does use). I did have to google a few things like 2 finger tap on the touchpad to right click, how to disable on screen keyboard (these ones aren't touch screens although they really should be), etc. I couldn't figure if I could adjust the mouse pointer, my kids took some time to learn a mouse. (I think it took 15 minutes for my 1st grader to figure it out )

Our school district uses Chromebooks from sixth grade up so I asked one of our lead IT guys, here is his response...
    Quote Originally Posted by Smart Fellow
    In general, a Chromebook is a chromebook. More ram is always beneficial... storage space is less important.
    Build quality is mainly what I worry about... buying a name brand is usually beneficial.
    I would look at a Lenovo, an HP, even Avery being decent brands.
    Depending upon the age of the kid and their level of responsibility... if the kid is a senior in Hs, consider a traditional laptop of budget allowed for it.
    I don’t recall our HS model number at the moment, but they are Lenovo, and have a touch screen.. which while nice seem to be a breakage area for us.
    I hope that helps. I can get model number later if needed.
    Model: Lenovo 300e <--- our district bought 2000 of these so I hope they're not all bad.
    Last edited by nynnja; 09-28-2020 at 12:49 PM.

Thanks for the info. I talked to my daughter and she's functional with what she has right now, and she'd rather wait and get something that would be useful to her in college. So now my thinking is shifting to a real laptop. She's used to Macs, so now we're in the $1500 range. Urgh.
    - Definitely

Well, what's she thinking about for college? Some schooling where Mac is the predominant platform?

I only used Apple products in elementary and high school so that's what I spent my graduation money to buy for college. After my first year, it was very clear that I would have been better off with a Windows machine for a fraction of the cash. Part of that was for my use of the computer for gaming and the lack of Mac games at the time, but the other big chunk was that every thing else was using Windows applications so it was another complication. I ended up selling my Mac for a loss and used the proceeds to build my first Window's machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbie View Post
    Well, what's she thinking about for college? Some schooling where Mac is the predominant platform?

I only used Apple products in elementary and high school so that's what I spent my graduation money to buy for college. After my first year, it was very clear that I would have been better off with a Windows machine for a fraction of the cash. Part of that was for my use of the computer for gaming and the lack of Mac games at the time, but the other big chunk was that every thing else was using Windows applications so it was another complication. I ended up selling my Mac for a loss and used the proceeds to build my first Window's machine.
    Yeah, if you're into gaming there's no question. Build a Windows PC. It's been true for 30+ years and it's still true today.
    - Definitely

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbie View Post

I only used Apple products in elementary and high school so that's what I spent my graduation money to buy for college. After my first year, it was very clear that I would have been better off with a Windows machine for a fraction of the cash.
    If I were entering college today and I knew I was going to be a CS major I'd definitely get a Mac over a PC. Macs are basically Unix boxes with a great UI. You could make the argument for a dual boot Windows/Linux box, but that's a lot of bother.
    - Definitely