Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW New Computer Tweakathread

I had one of the worst computer building experiences of my life because my friend wanted to use his old IDE hardware to save a few bucks. It took nearly a year from start to finish.

I agree IDE no longer worth it. Especially with new optical drives costing $30.

On a happy note I now have a bootable thumb drive with Win7 Pro on it ready to install when I get home tonight!

All is well. The thumb drive approach worked swimmingly. Installed Win7 and it wouldn't accept the product key because it wasn't an upgrade, so I installed it from within the unregistered Win7 and magically it was an upgrade!

Ha. Nice work.

Win7 64-bit is awesome.

Yes, Win7 is rocking thus far. Very happy.

After stating that I didn't want to deal with my old printer any more I reconsidered and decided to buy the cable you guys suggested. By chance I mentioned that to our office IT guy and he said "that's great, but check for drivers first." So after a brief search resulting in many variations of "HP 722c does not work in windows 7" I decided it wasn't worth the hassle and found a nice new printer.

My new Canon PIXMA MG5220 is awesome! Newegg offers it for $99 + $1.99 shp, but I found it at BestBuy for $99. Got it all set up wirelessly, printed and scanned already, and I'm very happy.

After getting a gtx 460 card around xmas, I'm to the point where I figure it's time to upgrade the rest of my 4ish year-old system.

Things I'm going to replace: cpu/mobo, ram.

At this point I think my psu (a 500W thermaltake) is still decent. It seems to provide enough power to my gpu, and even with newer specs comes in around 400 recommended. I'm not averse to getting a new one, but it seems fine.

My goal is probably to get something that is worthy of lasting around 2 years as a solid spec. Maybe more. I'm using info from Tom's Hardware and cpubenchmark.net to help establish costerformance.

CPU
    I've sorta been an "amd customer". But here I am looking at some intel Sandy Bridges.

An amd X4 970 is ~180$. An X4 645 is 120$. An i5-2400 is ~190. An i3-2100 is ~130$. I'm also throwing in the X6 1075T at ~195$.

In relative terms for game performance(compared to an Athlon X3 455 being a "100"):

X4 970- 132
    i5-2400- 148
    i3-2100- 135
    X4 645- 116
    X6 1075T- 123

There may be other factors to consider when buying a cpu, but my primary consideration is games. The way things stand it's hard for me to justify getting an amd when at the same price-point I can get a superior intel with regard to gaming. Heck for 140$ I can get an i3-2120 and that's a 140 on the chart.

For overall "passmark" performance the breakdown is:
    i5-2400- 6097 (43rd overall)
    X61075- 5834 (49th overall)
    X4 970- 4459 (92nd overall)
    i3-2100- 3911 (118 overall) 2120- 4046(112 overall)
    X4 645- 3694 (135 overall)

Here the 970 beats the i3 in more generalized testing, but the i5 scores way higher compared to the 970.

I haven't said much about the X6. Overall it scores pretty well, but it seems "meh" for games. Could the extra cores give it some longevity though as more games learn to use these?

MOBO
    I need to spend more time looking into this. Right now intel has two types of mobos- there is a third coming down the pipe at some point that will do what the other two do combined, plus it'll allow you to do SSD caching- so you could set up a 40GB ssd to act as a cache for your sata drive.

Price-wise, it looks like currently I need 120$ to get in the intel door for an atx mobo(4 ram slots). By comparison, I can get an amd mobo with SLi for 100$ and without SLi for 75-85.

I have not completely dug into the amd specs to see which mobo I'd prefer, but the cost of mobo seems to balance the price at the high end somewhat.

RAM
    I'm gonna grab 8GB in two 4GB sticks. It'll probably be whatever is on sale and is probably in the 1333 to 1600 range. I usually go with a Kingston or whatnot. I may go as high as 12 and try mucking around with the "ram as pagefile" option that I read about.

Looking into some new computron stuff.

My current PC is kind of a Frankenstein's monster. You see, my previous PC (built in '06) had some sort of catastrophic failure while I was away from home. I found out about it because my PC was off when I got home. When I turned it on it started smoking! There must have been a power surge of some sort because the smoke was coming from a TVS Diode on the HDD's PCB and the motherboard and power supply were fried.

Anyway, I grabbed a refurb package off of TigerDirect for $400, transferred my aging video card to it and that's what I'm using now.

I'm mostly just putting this here to help myself remember, and share what I'm finding since I know Gnorlin is thinking about upgrading too.

Current PC:
    *Pentium E5300 2.6Ghz Dual Core
    *6GB DDR2
    *750 GB HDD
    *Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    *DVD-RW
    +NVidia GrForce 9500GT (1GB 128-bit PCI Express)

* - purchased 3/14/10
    + - purchased 9/7/09 (apparently I upgraded '06 PC's card and forgot)

I went to TigerDirect and found this for $380 after savings+rebate:

TigerDirect Daily Deal
    AMD A8-5600K 3.6Ghz Quad Core
    2x 4GB DDR3 (does this mean it's 8GB or does DDR3 require duplex?)
    2TB HDD
    DVD-R
    Apparently no OS license (this makes it seem like much less of a deal than I thought it was)

I guess I do have some questions for you guys:

1. SSD: Worth it? How do you size it? I know in the past it was only worth going big enough for you OS partition for boot-speed. Is that still true?
    2. AMD vs Intel (is this still a thing that swings back and forth? If so, where is the pendulum now?)
    3. What about graphics cards? nVidia vs ATI used to be a thing too
    4. OS; I don't really want Windows 8, but I don't want to have to dick around too much to play games. Any suggestions? Is 8 not terrible?
    5. I'd prefer to build my own, and found PCPartPicker.com which is awesome. Any suggestions for other cool resources?

SSD is absolutely worth it for your OS. I have a 120 GB SanDisk and I've had no problems, I love it. Super fast everything. If I could afford a giant one for my games and video editing, I'd do it -- unfortunately those pursuits require multiple terabytes, and I'm not Warren Buffett.

Windows 8, I have heard that it does not suck, and I have also heard that it sucks. I'm using Windows 7 and it's wonderful. If I had known it was coming, I'd have skipped from XP straight to Win7, because Vista was awful.

Fuck... heading to work, I'll read the rest of your post later.

I've heard (but not experienced) that you can turn off the fancy Metro desktop on Win8 if you don't care for it and you end up with what's basically Windows 7 with some additions.