Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 73

Thread: Wisconsin is not Egypt ... yet

  1. #61
    The Warlock (Die Hard)
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    403
    Quote Originally Posted by nynnja View Post
    I return to my previous statement of fire them all.
    Recall efforts are underway for 16 senators (all that can be recalled at this time)

  2. #62
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Cupertino, CA
    Posts
    625
    There are also petitions started to get some of the democrats recalled too.
    Quote Originally Posted by nynnja View Post
    I return to my previous statement of fire them all.
    Uhm, isn't it just that sort of voter temper tantrum that got Walker elected and Feingold tossed out of office in the first place?

    I have a better idea: Fire the bad ones, keep the good ones. Do your job as a voter to sort out which is which.
    - Definitely

  3. #63
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    3,555
    Quote Originally Posted by RainMan View Post
    Uhm, isn't it just that sort of voter temper tantrum that got Walker elected and Feingold tossed out of office in the first place?

    I have a better idea: Fire the bad ones, keep the good ones. Do your job as a voter to sort out which is which.
    Yes and no. Feingold may have been a good guy but finding the good ones in our currently corrupt government is tough. In another thread somewhere I suggested removing all existing representatives and holding new elections. This also ties into campaign finance control and removing corporations from the operations of our federal government. We need a biblical flood through Washington and a fresh start.

  4. #64
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    577
    Quote Originally Posted by nynnja View Post
    We need a biblical flood through Washington and a fresh start.

    GOD I LOVE THIS

    +1 rep for Nynny

  5. #65
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Cupertino, CA
    Posts
    625
    Quote Originally Posted by nynnja View Post
    Yes and no. Feingold may have been a good guy but finding the good ones in our currently corrupt government is tough. In another thread somewhere I suggested removing all existing representatives and holding new elections. This also ties into campaign finance control and removing corporations from the operations of our federal government. We need a biblical flood through Washington and a fresh start.
    Who put the current people in office? The voters. How is holding new elections going to solve anything? Removing corporate influence from elections is going to be tough considering a certain recent Supreme Court decision. Merely throwing the bums out isn't going to fix anything.
    - Definitely

  6. #66
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    3,555
    You're right, we did. Thus the need for campaign finance reforms and removing corporate influence from government. Negative ads work and people keep throwing billions of dollars into them. We rarely vote "for" candidates anymore, instead we vote "against" the other guy. You cannot run for office without being a millionaire or having one support you, and since we're all human we will tend to favor those who favor us. People put in office by oil companies don't vote against oil interests. (Oil is just one example.)

    See this thread for more of my thoughts. I've been reading Free Lunch and haven't finished it yet because it pisses me off when I read it. Our country likes to think it's a democratic capitalist free market but the truth is far from it. Our government is owned by powerful people and our voting is just an unfortunate distraction from their agenda. Even though we get to vote we are unwittingly swayed by ads and chosen politicians.

  7. #67
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    3,555
    Quote Originally Posted by nynnja View Post
    Our country likes to think it's a democratic capitalist free market but the truth is far from it. Our government is owned by powerful people and our voting is just an unfortunate distraction from their agenda. Even though we get to vote we are unwittingly swayed by ads and chosen politicians.
    This has only gotten more true over the last seven years.

    The good news is that Walkers Reign of Error is ending and Wisconsin will now have divided government. If we can manage to avoid the national division for a hot second maybe we can enact some useful legislation for Wisconsin. Starting with raising my taxes. Yes, I said raising my taxes because we desperately need to do boring un-sexy infrastructure work.

  8. #68
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    981
    Says the guy who designs bridges or whatever. Your agenda is showing! /s

    On paper, I like divided governments. I tell myself that they'll have to work together and compromise to make progress which will yield better results. Unfortunately I expect this will just mean both parties working extra-hard to gain full control and using delaying tactics to do nothing until they have it.

    Wisconsin had a bunch of advisory "Should we legalize Marijuana" referendums on county ballots. Some counties specified "medicinal" while others specified "legalize and tax like alcohol." So far the lowest I've seen was 69% for legalize and the highest is 80% for medicinal. I figured they'd do well, but was not expecting that sentiment had swayed that much. I think people who would have voted no in the past are unable to ignore the tax implications.

  9. #69
    Darth Small Macheath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    14,257
    I'm happy to see Walker, Kobach, and Rohrabacher all pounding sand today. I only wish Cruz (and several others) could have joined them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  10. #70
    Darth Small Macheath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    14,257
    That said, I'm not sure how I feel about Tony Evers. I don't live in WI anymore, so I don't know that much about him, but he seems like he's got a tight focus on education as an elderly former teacher himself. That's good, but I think the way we treat education needs to change fundamentally (pay them more now) and I worry he's just going to double down on improving the current set of traditional benefits (inflate the already unsustainable Eternal Pensions teachers get).

    If we just increase their salaries, the whole profession will attract more and better talent... then we can stop giving tenure to mediocre educators, and stop paying them 105% of their retirement-year salary in perpetuity until death.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •