Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Diablo 3

Deso and I were talking about vent and we still have the Oblivious vent server up and running, though seemingly little used. If you want to bullshit with others while playing, here's the info:

chicago5.ventriloservers.biz
    port - 3854

If you can't connect, you likely had a password set up back in the old days. Change your name a bit and give it another go. If you still have trouble, PM me.

That is more accurate than I care to admit.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbie View Post
    That is more accurate than I care to admit.
    QFT

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbie View Post
    That's who swervedriver is! I see you on steam all the time but can never for the life of me remember who the hell it is!
    Yeah buddy!

Vermahk#1399

So last night I beat the game on Normal. Pretty interesting choice with the location for Act 4, but a bit predictable.

The game's a bit too linear for me. In previous Diablo games, if memory serves, you could walk pretty much anyone in an Act without any problem no matter what stage or the quest lines you were in. You did occasionally encounter a door or something that you needed a key from an earlier quest to get past, but generally, all the outside areas were open to you from the time you entered the Act. I was disappointed at how some parts of D3 kept you locked into the area you were supposed to be in until you did what you were supposed to do. That combined with them seemingly never giving you more than one task at a time and no real side quests left me feeling like I was being led by the hand the whole time I played.

The boss fights were challenging right up until the last one. I think I escaped Act 1 with just one death, but Acts 2 and 3 left me dead several times, especially during the final boss fights. Act 4 started out the same way with the first boss just annihilating me repeatedly until I think I just got lucky and scored a few more timely hits than he did, but it went downhill from there. The final boss was a pushover. I crushed him without ever even feeling like I was in trouble. A bit disappointing.

Ugh. Sounds like you were getting railroaded from one task to the next without having to look for anything? Nothing ruins Diablo like linear gameplay. Just keep moving in a straight line, killing the monsters that appear in front of you.

I agree that there are parts that are more linear than 2, but there are lots of random events that spice things up. Filling out the map, and (of course) looking for those events for achievements has had me seeing plenty that I'd have missed sticking to the goals. Also, normal felt a lot like an intro to the game, "here's where everything is, here's the plot just FYI". Get to Nightmare difficulty and you'll find plenty to distract you. Going through Act 2 and 3 on that has been like a different game in terms of the tactics I'm having to use.