Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bioshock Infinite

I bought and installed it last night. I may play it some tonight. And for the rest of the week. Except I have Path of Exile to edit, and a Q&A video to cap and upload. Maybe I'll put Bioshock Infinite footage behind that. Then again, that would just make people not watch in order to avoid spoilers. BUT I NEED TO FIND TIME TO PLAY, DAMMIT.

I hate you. I have a sick kid and have been home all day. I've been on the Steam store 3 times and looked at it, but just kept thinking, "nah. If Mac can hold out, so can I. I mean, sure, I have the perfect 8 straight hours today to play, but I'm being strong. Strong just like Mac."

You son of a bitch.

Haha, Mac is not strong. Nooooo.

On the bright side, if your kid is sick again tomorrow, you can play!

"I want to go to school today, Daddy!"

"Are you sure you don't feel a little bit sick?"

After being out of the office 4 days last week, I really shouldn't have been gone today. I'm off Thursday too as my wife is having gall bladder surgery. Today was my window.

Now, my kids are leaving this weekend and gone for 2 weeks so maybe I will jump on it this weekend.

I've only played for like half an hour, and I can scarcely believe how gorgeous this game is. Granted, they pack some of the best eye candy into the first 30 minutes just for people like me, but man, it sure did work. I wandered around totally awestruck, snapping screenshots every ten seconds. It's beautiful even at "Medium" settings, and it runs at a rock solid frame rate on my 2.5 year old computer (and 5+ year old graphics card).

2013-03-27_00002.jpg 2013-03-27_00004.jpg 2013-03-27_00009.jpg
    2013-03-27_00011.jpg 2013-03-28_00003.jpg 2013-03-28_00006.jpg
    2013-03-28_00010.jpg 2013-03-28_00011.jpg 2013-03-28_00012.jpg

As for the atmosphere... I haven't experienced anything like it since the first Bioshock. I'm entirely transported into whatever weird ass world this is. I'm lurking over every character's shoulder to hear what they say, I'm looking at and listening to everything I can get my eyes and ears near. The musical moments nearly bring me to tears. I cannot wait to get more time in.

Wow. I just played for like 5 hours, and when I quit to take a break, I popped over to the index of IGN's walkthrough site to get an indication of how far I've made it. I'm barely a third of the way in. 15-20 hours (if that turns out to be the final tally) is pretty damn good for a modern game with this much detail in it.

Edit: Another 4 hours got me quite a bit further... might as well keep my progress marker updated.

Lighthouse
    Welcome Center
    Raffle Square
    Comstock Center Rooftops
    Monument Island Gateway
    Monument Tower
    Battleship Bay
    Soldier's Field
    The Hall of Heroes
    Inside the Hall of Heroes
    Hall of Heroes Gift Shop
    Return to Hall of Heroes

Finkton Docks
    Beggar's Wharf
    Fort Franklin Pier
    Worker Induction Center
    Plaza of Zeal
    Good Time Club
    Plaza of Zeal (Return)
    Gunsmith Shop
    Shanty Town
    Bull House Impound
    Bull Yard
    Finkton Proper
    On to the Factory
    Factory Courtyard
    The Factory
    Emporia
    Port Prosperity
    Downtown Emporia

Memorial Gardens
    Comstock House
    The Atrium
    Warden's Office
    Operating Theatre
    Hand of the Prophet
    Hangar Deck
    Engineering Deck
    Command Deck
    Sea of Doors
    Last edited by Macheath; 04-01-2013 at 04:27 AM.

After playing 2/3 of this game, my biggest complaint is the mouse sensitivity. I have it cranked all the way down to the bottom possible level, and it's slightly too slow -- but if I kick it up one pixel on the slider bar, it's suddenly way too fast.

Only now, when I've gotten used to it, do I see a tweak available on PCGamingWiki. I put this link here so that others may benefit from my suffering.

My second biggest complaint is the lack of a save/load. Seriously, seriously? I understand you're auto-saving at checkpoints for me, Bioshock, but I'd really like to have more control than that. When I'm trying to quit, and the game tells me it's been several minutes since the last auto-save and do I really want to quit and lose that progress?, I'm suddenly cast back to the days of looking for a save point in Final Fantasy while my Mom yells at me to come eat dinner.

Still haven't sat back down to finish the game (been watching Castle) but I hope to get around to it tonight.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Expecting a lot of ladies to be sporting the same cosplay this year... that said, damn....

0UDo9dc.jpg

For those that don't believe this is a photo
    Last edited by nyyx; 04-04-2013 at 07:47 PM.

Well... I beat it. Gonna have to think about it before I understand what the hell I just saw.
    Attached Images Attached Images