Page 69 of 70 FirstFirst ... 195967686970 LastLast

Thread: Random Shit Thread: Redux!

Administrator
    Just dug a bit deeper and that channel only has about 2 dozen videos, the first of which was published 4 months ago AND HAS 17M VIEWS.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbie View Post
    Elsagate

With the new polar vortex almost upon us I've been seeing a lot of maps like this one that shows wind chill. Do people really care about/pay attention to wind chill predictions? I've always ignored it because it seems like it's a subjective number IMO. You cover up properly and it's a non-factor

Quote Originally Posted by gnod View Post
    Do people really care about/pay attention to wind chill predictions? I've always ignored it because it seems like it's a subjective number IMO. You cover up properly and it's a non-factor
    Well... you could say literally the same thing about temperature alone, sooo...

It's probably not a big deal if you're car commuting, but as someone who walks to work, knowing the wind chill is pretty important. It helps decide how much to bundle up. 28 degrees? You'll want a hat and gloves. Wind chill of 0? Should add in a scarf wrapped to keep your face comfortable. Temp of 0 with wind chill -17? The normal hat and gloves won't do it. Break out the warm stuff. Temp of -10 and wind chill of -40? Break out the ice fishing gear: Big puffy coat, ski gloves, and thermal overalls.

I am getting a kick out of all of my coworkers who normally drive from their garage to our building's heated garage that are staying home because it's dangerously cold. To be fair a lot of them are really doing it because day cares and schools are all closed, but I can still call them soft and feel superior so I am. All I changed today was adding some tights as a base layer, wore my thicker corduroys, and wore a fleece balaclava and the 15 min walk in was no problem.

EDIT: Edit to add, Wind Chill is not subjective. There are calculations and everything. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_chill

Ah, yeah that makes sense. I think the thing for me would be not spending a lot of time out in the elements on a regular basis. I've gone running in single digit weather before but it's so long and few between that happening that I don't really remember how I dealt with the wind.

Quote Originally Posted by liuv View Post
    EDIT: Edit to add, Wind Chill is not subjective. There are calculations and everything. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_chill
    TIL!

I'm sitting in the war room eating my markedly okay dinner (it's free, who's gonna complain) and wondering why Europeans call arugula "rocket."

Turns out, language is stupid! You knew that though.

ARUGULA: Southern Italy ("aruculu" or "rucola" in modern day) -> America ("arugula")

ROCKET (LETTUCE): Northern Italy ("ruchetta") -> France ("roquette") -> England ("rocket")

ROCKET (MISSILE): Italy ("rocca" or "rocchetto" in modern day) -> France ("roquette") -> England ("rocket")

Okay, turns out I can't even blame England here. They inherited both words (lettuce and missile) from France. The real issue is France. Why you taking perfectly good words that mean different things and translating them all to "roquette," France?

Hey France, what should we call this hard, stone-like thing we found on the ground? Okay, "roquette" it is.

Fucken France

On a conf call with Ford when this happens

picklerick.png

Just watched this video (linked on reddit; student project or something, commercial for Johnnie Walker) and then scrolled down to the comments. Gotta love the internet:

firsttttt.png

EDIT: Same guys also made this. Shit, these guys are good:

Hoooly shit, this is just terrifying:

https://old.reddit.com/r/wisconsin/c...day_in_neenah/

How's Neenah doing? Theda Clark must be full of injuries.