Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Terraria

Thanks for the key and server, Landolin.

So far I like this game. It really is 2D Minecraft. Which, for one thing, means it's a hell of a lot harder to get lost, which is a plus.

Here's me at the end of my first lengthy session, with a silver helmet and broadsword, a few other copper and iron tools, and a house that's way bigger than I'll ever need:

machouse.png

Among the house's features, other than the obvious (workbench, forge, anvil, a couple chests, some sweet statues, and a couple lamp posts to guide you in), are the rabbit cellar:

rabbitcellar.png

...a friendly sign:

friendlysign.png

...and a Guide Suicide Nook:

suicide.png

During my explorations beneath the house, I found lots of water:

nope.png

...some creepy-ass plant things:

creepy.png

...several gigantic motherlodes of ore:

motherlode.png

...and my very first gold chest:

goldchest.png

To the east of my house is what I assume to be Landolin's place. He's east of the spawn point, I'm west of it. You other suckers are gonna have to go farther out if you want to build your own houses. We're going to run out of wood soon, too, which will necessitate waiting for the trees to grow back (they do that, right?), searching for more forests to deforest, or figuring out how to grow trees on the roofs of our houses.

Nobody seems too keen on moving into my house in NPC-land, so I'm trying to figure out why. This is what the Wiki says are the requirements for a "home."

• Has closed walls as well as background walls. For background walls, a small section of it may be removed for asthetic reasons, but only so much of the back wall can be removed, depending on the size of the room.
    • Less than 50% (4 blocks in home going by the shortest possible) of the floor can be made of Wooden Platforms, but no more.
    • Has a table or Work Bench and chair.
    • Has a door (each NPC demands own door; shared doors don't count).
    • Has a light source - e.g. a torch or a candle.
    • A minimum height and width of 10 blocks wide by 6 blocks high, which means the room will have 8x4 blocks of free space.
    • In the 1.0.6 update it requires one Household item

I don't know which of those I'm violating. I need to read a little more, I guess.

Okay it's 3:30 AM, I guess I can stop playing now.

I drained and flattened a huge piece of land to the west of my house, and planted saplings:

saplings.png

Guess what happened!

booyah.png

I also figured out how to get people to move into my house. I was confused at first though, because this merchant seemed to prefer drowning himself.

merchant.png

I forgive him though because he's selling this sweet mother:

helmet.png

Oh, and a demolitionist showed up. Did he move right into my house? No, of course not, he's on the roof. He rode in on a shooting star or some shit. What the fuck.

demolition.png

Also, I found some corruption:

corruption.png

See also: me walling myself into a little dirt room like a huge pussy while some kind of huge goddamn flying trilobite zips around over my head shrieking. I disconnected rather than dig out and run.

So then I dug straight down until I ran into some skeletons, and one of those dropped a hook. Turns out you can make a grappling hook with one of those, and turns out grappling hooks make me overconfident.

overconfident.png

Seconds after this screenshot was taken, a flying trilobite severed my head and shit down my neck. No joke. I lost like 250 silver coins in that stupid hole.

Drew got the last key.

Well, possibly my most exciting discovery of the evening was evidence of other life on the server. Check it out!

evidence.png

OH MAN! I WONDER IF I WILL MEET HER

My second most exciting discovery was my very first heart crystal, deep underground. +20 hit points, motherfuckers.

heart1.png

And now that I'm not slumming it down at 100 HP anymore, the Healer has finally decided I'm worth her time.

healer.png

And so I delved deeply once more, and holy hell, another heart crystal!

heart2.png

And so I dug even deeper and HWAT THE FCUK HLY SH!T

heart3-5.png

Suddenly I've doubled my health total from 100 to 200! I may be ready to forge some better armor and head on over to that God Damn Corruption again!

Unfortunately, 200 hit points don't save you from drowning, and the bulk of my most recent exploratory outing was spent digging through water with glowsticks and tiny air pockets. Which is nerve-wracking to say the least.

fuckingwater.png

I drowned at least three times, died of a long fall two or three more times, and straight up got killed by monsters once or twice. And the deeper you go, the less likely you are to be able to make a beeline back to your body.

I actually carry a piggy bank with me, but when I open my inventory and think "oh hey, I've got a gold piece! I should stop, make a shelf, put the piggy bank on it, open it up, put the gold piece in there, break the piggy bank with my hammer, put it back in my inventory, and then continue just to be safe!" somehow just continuing to dig always wins out. And then my stupid ass drowns, and I lose half my gold pieces rounded up, which is 1 out of 1. And I cry, and realize I also lost 45 silver pieces, and there went 75% of my money and I'm never going to get enough for the goddamn mining hat.

Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    Well, possibly my most exciting discovery of the evening was evidence of other life on the server. Check it out!

evidence.png

OH MAN! I WONDER IF I WILL MEET HER
    That's me!!