Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Android (and Why It's Better Than IOS)

Android (and Why It's Better Than IOS)

So, the phones I'm considering replacing my old-and-busted iPhone with are the following:

Samsung Galaxy S2 - The current world leader in awesomeness, it's presently the standby for Android-based hardware. It rocks a 4.3" screen, an 8-megapixel camera with flash, a 1.2 GHz dual-core CPU and 16 GB of onboard memory (with support for flash cards) in a package only 8.5 mm thick.

Droid Bionic - Slightly later and greater than the Galaxy S2, the Bionic was released earlier this month. It has hardware very similar to the Galaxy but is slightly thicker at 11.5 mm. At the same time, however, it doesn't sound like the same sort of world-beater the Galaxy is. Between these two phones, unless you have some Motorola brand loyalty to contend with and provided you can attach to the carrier you want, you're probably better off with the Galaxy S2.

Nexus Prime - For a phone supposedly coming out next month, the Nexus Prime is still a bit of a dark horse as relatively little is known about it. It supposedly sports a 4.5" screen, and supposedly runs on a dual-core 1.5 GHz processor, so it is in all ways supposedly superior to the Galaxy S2 in terms of hardware. The real selling point, though, is that it's a "stock" Googlephone (even though it's manufactured by Samsung, like the Galaxy line). Hopefully this means there's nothing between Android OS updates and you except a "download update" button, unlike other versions of the OS that take 6-8 months to bolt their special widgets onto the UI and put the whole thing through a QA cycle before dropping it into customers' hands. There are Android phones out there that don't even have Gingerbread yet, and Ice Cream Sandwich is almost out the door. Nexus phones, ostensibly, do not have that problem.

Nexus phones do not. They are stripped down and wonderful.

Also Android > IOS simply because they have awesome names for their builds like "Gingerbread" and "Ice Cream Sandwich".

And actually, since this thread is about alternatives to dirty, dirty IOS, Windows Phone 7 is really impressing me. It's a shame it's marketed so poorly and the third-party apps aren't as far along, because between the three major players it looks like the sleekest, best-performing, most functional out of the bunch. Less open than Android but less closed than IOS, WP7 is snappily performant and has an attractive look to it and I'm seriously considering going this direction all of a sudden.

The best current WP7 handset is probably the Samsung Focus, with its 1 GHz Snapdragon CPU, the same AMOLED display the Galaxy S2 has got, a 5-megapixel camera with flash and (only) 8 GB of internal storage.

However, that phone's a year old at this point. No sir, no sir. WP7 has just rolled out its 7.5 "Mango" update which introduces multitasking and significantly increases customizability (which, if you watch the video review from the first Engadget link above, was one of the guy's few complaints about the original WP7). We're about to get a slew of new post-Mango WP7 phones, including the Nokia Searay, the HTC Titan, the Samsung Focus Flash, and the Samsung Focus S. I guess the S is so you know it's better.

I'm... inexplicably excited about WP7. I think I may start looking for updates about Mango phones, and wait for one of those (probably the Focus S, since it has an S).

A few details on AT&T's Samsung Focus S, posted only a few days ago. Maybe the phone will be available soon! OH BOY

By this table the Galaxy S II is the clear winner of awesome.

I'm still sticking with my apple fanboi gear.

Yeah, it doesn't sound like there's a great deal of excitement over the HTC Titan, though it is a new piece of WP7.5 hardware. Maybe my sudden interest in WP7 was premature, though I'll still check out reviews of the OS on the Focus S when it's ready.

Thanks for finding that chart though, I love those sorts of comparisons that boil everything down into a large digestible chunk, like last night's boiled chicken with a side of boiled chicken that I made.

Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    Or actually, apparently that's the "Galaxy Nexus" and not the "Nexus Prime?" when is what phone coming out oh god

I was kinda hoping the phone would close into an Optimus Prime action figure and transform into a phone when you need to use it.
    Oooh, shiny!

Check out my gaming channel on Youtube! Streams, videos, and more right here!