Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Android (and Why It's Better Than IOS)

LOL Android...

Err, "LOL Android" what? I see an Android phone in the #1 spot ahead of Apple's brand new phone, and a whole bunch that perform better than the 3GS and within about 15% of the iPhone 4's numbers.

Looks like even distribution, don't get joke.

Edit: And actually, assuming that "3.1" is the version of Android they're using on the Galaxy Tab, it looks like nothing else on their list is running anywhere near that version of the OS. Maybe version 3 is really fast? Just like the latest version of iOS is really fast! See, everyone's getting faster. Hooray for everyone!

The Tab is a tablet. It's running a different version altogether, configured especially for tablets as far as I knew. It surprised me to see it listed as if they were all the same.

It's the only device running Android 3.x, which is sort of weird.

I found the source of the data Zlord attempted to post. And as it turns out, Android 2.x (Gingerbread) uses one core for internet browsing, while IOS5 and Android 3.x (Honeycomb) and up use two cores. I imagine the Android phones are only on that chart for reference, as there's no point to comparing until you've got a handset running Honeycomb or Ice Cream Sandwich (hereafter referred to with the less gay "ICS").

I assume Zlord knew this, and his intent in posting The Chart With No Context was just to stir the pot. In which case, well done, my nemesis.

Honeycomb is only for tablets. Android's port of Honeycomb for phone is Ice Cream Sandwich (2.4) which should be "coming soon". Still, I haven't seen any benchmarks showing 2.4. It probably will be faster than Gingerbread, but unlikely to go past the iPhone.

Which means Android will continue to play catch up.

Notice the jump in performance for the iPhone 3GS and 4 from iOS 4.3 to 5. So it is clearly not only a matter of taking advantage of 2 cores. Everything I've read about iOS 5 shows that it is quite a leap in functionality and performance. I can't wait to upgrade all my iDevices

Quote Originally Posted by zlordsahan View Post
    Honeycomb is only for tablets. Android's port of Honeycomb for phone is Ice Cream Sandwich (2.4) which should be "coming soon".
    Thanks for clearing that up. I have trouble with numbers, but I understand dessert.

Still, I haven't seen any benchmarks showing 2.4. It probably will be faster than Gingerbread, but unlikely to go past the iPhone.
    Speculation based on what?

Notice the jump in performance for the iPhone 3GS and 4 from iOS 4.3 to 5. So it is clearly not only a matter of taking advantage of 2 cores.
    Sure, look at the "Rightware BrowserMark" chart. It's the only one I can see that compares the same handsets running IOS 4.3 and IOS 5 on the same scale.

iPhone 4 + IOS 4.3 = 36675 whateverpoints
    iPhone 4 + IOS 5 = 51701 whateverpoints (increase of 41%)

iPhone 3GS + IOS 4.2.1 = 26151 unicorns
    iPhone 3GS + IOS 5 = 37276 unicorns (increase of 42.5%)

So yes, one version of the OS to the next results in a big jump in performance. Why would you think going from Gingerbread to ICS wouldn't produce a comparable jump?
    Last edited by Macheath; 10-12-2011 at 12:00 AM.

iPhone 4 has a single core CPU

iPhone 4 has a single core CPU
    Yeah, sorry, I've joined the conversation now. Realized that late, edited. My point still stands: why would an upgrade of the OS not produce splendid results on a non-SteveJobs platform?

In non-Apple-pissing-contest news, the supposed Nexus Prime announcement date is "back on" and rescheduled for October 19th. Just release the fucking phone, any fucking phone, so I can buy it and stop using this busted piece of shit.

I am not intimately familiar with the trillion different Android compatible hardware, but obviously an Android phone with a far better hardware will have an edge on an earlier generation phone (iPhones included).

My speculation is based on the fact that their best performing unit in that chart was a tablet that barely beat the 4S. So, after porting that same OS to a phone it will obviously be slower (tuned for less power, less memory), and therefore will fall below the 4S and hopefully above the 2 yr old iPhone 4.