Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Podcasts

Podcasts

Hey guys, does anyone else love the shit out of podcasts? I thought I'd go through a list of the ones I listen to. You guys can too, not like I need any more to listen to, I can barely keep up as it is.

SModcast - there's a thread on this one so I won't go into it. If you like Kevin Smith you will love this podcast, if you're not a big fan then you probably won't enjoy it.

The Nerdist - Chris Hardwick and a couple of his comedian friends host a podcast about nerdy shit. Their guests are mostly other comedians or nerd icons. With comedians as guests they tend to get bogged down with which locations are the best to do comedy at and other stuff that you really have to be a working comedian to care about. They also do "hostful" episodes with no guests which I actually think are the funniest unless they get a guest that's just there to have fun and riff with them.

The Pod F. Tompcast - This is pretty much my favorite podcast right now. It's about 50% Paul F Tompkins rambling about random shit that has nothing to do with anything, 25% sketch comedy and 25% calls to his friend Jen Kirkman. It runs a bit on the silly side so if you don't find yourself loving it after a couple episodes then it's probably not for you. It's too bad that there are only 12ish full episodes and it's on hiatus at the moment.

The Thrilling Adventure Hour - this has to be my second favorite at the moment. It's described as a "new time podcast in the style of old time radio" and that's probably the best description I can come up with. The show is recorded live and has been going for 5 or so years, but the podcast has only been around for the last year or two so you have to pick up in the middle of story lines, as much as there are story lines. The best shows are called "Beyond Belief" and "Sparks Nevada: Marshal on Mars" so if you want a place to start, listen to a couple of those. They have guest spots from a lot of well known people including John DiMaggio (Bender!), Nathan Fillion, and Dave Foley, but the regulars are damn fine comedians and voice actors.

Radio Lab - this is an NPR radio show about science. Most episodes you have to pay a lot of attention or you really won't get what's going on so you can't have it playing in the background if you expect to get anything out of it.

I listen to several on the SModcast network: SModcast (the original and still funny), Hollywood Babble-On (probably my favorite), Jay & Silent Bob Get Old (sometimes this one wears on me but there are enough funny parts to keep me coming back), I used to listen to Having Sex with Katie Morgan but that just got weird sitting at work with a boner and I feared ever having the headphones disconnect and broadcast some triple anal gang bang story across the office. A couple times I've listened to Mohr Stories but I keep forgetting about it, that's Jay Mohr usually with a good guest being funny.

NPR: Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, Car Talk, This American Life, and Planet Money (PM needs attention some times but it's very good), I used to listen to Radio Lab but I think I heard most of them and last I checked there weren't new ones.

TWiT: Tech News Today, This week in Tech

I used to listen to This Week in Tech but I was tired of them spending 75 minutes out of every 60 minutes talking about twitter and having basically the same conversation about it, so I haven't listened in a year or two.

try Tech News Today, it's much more current (daily) and lots less sidetracking.

Does anybody know of a place to see all the visual media from Hollywood Babble On? I listen to the podcast and sometimes I really want to see the pics and videos they show. Of course I probably shouldn't view most of them at work.

Fat Man on Batman is a great geeky trip into the heart of comics, movies, stories, history ... anything you can imagine in the Batman universe.

So far I've listened to episodes 1-3, which starts with Paul Dini (one of the most influential writers in the Batman world) and is followed by a two part episode with Mark Hamill (yes, that Mark Hamill).

Nerdy goodness.

Haven't listened to it yet, but it sounds fun: Penny Arcade guys + Scott Kurtz (+ sometimes Wil Wheaton) playing D&D

Nynny have you listened to the Emo Kev series of Smodcasts???! Comedy Gold!!

YES! The fact he recorded himself rambling is funny in itself, but to hear the future Kev commentary track over it is hilarious.

I'm currently listening to the Nerdist podcast with Tom Hanks. Yes, the Tom Hanks, it's pretty great. I looked at their website and it's not listed yet but I'm listening to it on the Stitcher app. Tom Hanks is cool.