Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Computery questions

Computery questions

I guess we don't so much have a computer thread anymore so I'll start one.

I heard about this book called Cholesterol Protection for Life. $70 on Amazon, $200+ on hpb.com, and even more on other sites. The guy's website has a "digital" copy for $11, but the hard copies are out of print. Why somebody doesn't reprint this book that apparently has high demand is beyond me. Then after a little digging I found a site offering a free copy of this book. So I signed up, said $0 for a donation, and shortly got an email where I could download my free copy.

My free copy is password protected to open, which they gave me, but I can read it all I want. However, now that I have it I'd like to put it on my Kindle, which I'm guessing I can't do while it's protected. Of course the "unprotect it" password isn't the same. Can anyone help with this issue?

The only option you have is to print it out and scan it back in from the print out.

I spent weeks trying to do what you're talking about when I first got my Kindle, as I got it so I wouldn't have to print out my .pdf textbooks when I was going to school. The Adobe password software is incompatible with Amazon's software and I'd guess that two years hasn't brought the two any closer together.

Sorry man, but no dice.

I can't print it out. Every single permission option is set to "Not Allowed". But it's still just a magical computer file of bits so I have to believe there's some smarty out there who can open it up.

This maybe? I've never used it, it's just the first result when you google "unlock pdf".

HOLY SPIT! THAT WORKED!

Well cool, thanks Gnorlin. I wonder what deal I just unwittingly made with the devil to get that to work.

As long as you didn't click "yes to install viruses please" at any point during the process I think you're in the clear.

Apparently that site is getting rave reviews. I wonder how long until it gets shut down.

Well WTF. Where was that site when I spent literally fucking days searching for a way to do that?

Based on the timeline of their blog entries, they apparently didn't exist at the time. Whew. I fell far less stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by nynnja View Post
    I guess we don't so much have a computer thread anymore so I'll start one.
    Well there's this one

It's hard to use the search box.