Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Computery questions

Oh, uhhh, yup... worked on second attempt. Nice job High Sierra team!

I've decided I need a password manager. Unfortunately I'm suffering analysis paralysis.

So far my front runner is Dashlane. I figure what's the meaningful difference between $60/year and $30/year for others.

What experiences do you guys have with password managers?
    - Definitely

I've been using KeeWeb. It's an open-source, browser-based password manager compatible with KeePass. It doesn't connect to any servers. My encrypted database is stored in my Google Drive, but you can also use Dropbox, OneDrive, a local file, etc.

It might not be the most secure solution among all available, but convenience is important to me here too. Plus it's free. Works great!

Mac, Do you log onto stuff on your phone? Do you have to plug your thumb drive into your computer and get the password and type it in manually to you phone? One thing I like about password managers is you can use more secure passwords that would be difficult to type in on your own.

My wife and I use Lastpass which is free. It's a bit flaky occasionally, like it remembers the wrong password for a newly created account. But not too bad. It has plugins for your browser and your phone so it's pretty seamless.

I'm on Lastpass too, but I've debating switching because they have had security issues. It's probably too late at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnorlin View Post
    Mac, Do you log onto stuff on your phone? Do you have to plug your thumb drive into your computer and get the password and type it in manually to you phone?
    No, like I said, my database is stored in Google Drive. There's no native smartphone app for KeeWeb, but they have a hosted version of the front-end up at their own domain. You can download all the code and host your own, but it's just a static HTML page, so I use theirs. So I point that page at my Google Drive account (which requires my Google password) and then open the encrypted database file (which requires a second password) and now I've got the whole manager open in my browser, from which I can copy-paste into other pages or apps.

EDIT: Click "more" and then the "demo" button at the link above, if you want to see what the app looks like. You can organize passwords in folders, generate passwords with the little lightning bolt button at the bottom, and copy passwords to your paste buffer by tapping the actual word "Password" in the entry itself. It doesn't integrate with your browser directly, so the auto-fill functionality is kind of half helpful, and I don't bother with it.
    Last edited by Macheath; 06-17-2019 at 09:20 AM.