Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Computery questions

In my defense the vbulletin search isn't exactly robust.

I am looking for some opinions from the masses on a good monitor. I am in the market to buy a new one and have been reading a bunch of reviews for various manufacturers and types of monitors. I play mainly MMO's and Action RPG style games on my computer so I would likely gear it towards that sort of thing (not sure if response time really matters for those types of games vs the FPS games). In any case, I wouldn't mind keeping the price around $200 but I could go as high as $300 if the monitor was above and beyond worth the money. I am also looking to keep it int he 23" - 24" widescreen variety (leaning towards the 24"). Hopefully some of you can give me some opinions on monitors you have or that you would buy if you had the cash.

What I would do is go to Newegg and see what they're selling. I did that just now, clicked on Computer Hardware -> Monitors, and the top thing on the page was an ASUS 24" monitor on sale for $199 (with a coupon for another $20 off). Its user rating is 5/5 with nearly 1500 reviews. It has built-in speakers, HDMI and DVI inputs, and a 0.27 dot pitch (which is okay, not awesome).

Funny that you mentioned that specific monitor as I was just looking at reviews of it from various other sites. Seems to be a pretty good deal for a better than average monitor.

I've been commissioned to build an HTPC. Any of ya'll have any experience with XBMC, linux vs. W7 for a dedicated HTPC, or IR blaster and remote compatibility?

I've used XBMC on a hacked Apple TV. It's pretty slick, easy to use, etc. Sorry no comparison with the other systems.

The apple TV seems like it would be a great solution as far as usability. Do you know if, once it's hacked, it can run pandora on its own?

Quote Originally Posted by Raid View Post
    The apple TV seems like it would be a great solution as far as usability. Do you know if, once it's hacked, it can run pandora on its own?
    LMGTFY

FYI: If you do this, when hacking the ATV2 you'll find that the mini-usb and the HDMI cables will not fit simultaneously. This is not a problem since you don't need to see the screen during the hacking process. I saw no mention of this in any guide and ended up needlessly modifying a cable to fit. Other than that it's pretty simple and painless.

My only issue with this hack is accessing files. You need another machine on to serve the files. So in an ideal situation using as little power as possible I'd rather leave my desktop off.

http://lifehacker.com/5391308/build-...r-on-the-cheap

I would however also suggest using AppleTV. It's a very elegant solution overall and cheaper, plus it has 802.11n and Bluetooth built-in which will probably cost you more in a HTPC. For storage, I suggest a network drive, which is more useful anyway since you can use it to backup/share your movies/pictures and display them on your TV seamlessly.