Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Computery questions

It's for an old man who hates computers, so usability is the main thing. I ended up purchasing a Boxee Box for him. We'll see how it works!

Administrator
    I've been using a Mac mini since last year with great success. I have an additional 3Tb drive hooked up via firewire and run Plex as my media center software.

So apparently the new Macbook Pro is ZOMGZ amazing. Does anyone know how the new fangled "ultrabooks" are going to compare to this? I've heard that they're coming soon but was curious if anyone knew anything more on a stackup between the 2

As I understand it, the Macbook Pro and "ultrabooks" are on two different playing fields. The ultrabooks are comparable to the Macbook Air.

It's not really fair to compare PC "ultrabooks" with the Macbook Air. The only differences between an "ultrabook" and the Macbook Pro are:

• No retina display
    • Typically no default SSD (without upgrading)
    • Not quite as good of a processor (though some PC ultrabooks already have Ivy Bridge)
    • One third the price ($700-1000 vs. $2200)

I'm skeptical as to whether the incredible display is worth so much money, but Apple fans won't be.

Someone who pays more attention to the details than me should tell me if I should be super excited or not.

pricing will be interesting, and could make or break it.

It'll be like a zune with more buttons. Very exciting stuff.

My wife has a Zune. I've never minded it, but then again, neither of us has used it much either. She apparently does use it at her desk at work quite often though.

Here's a new topic - Antivirus software. I stopped running any AV software about a year ago when the ads on the free ones got to be too much. Yesterday I downloaded bitdefender since there are now three computers in my household and you get a three computer license when you buy it. The scan turned up nothing but a software crack for a computer game (I pirated).

So, what do the gentlemen use for AV? Or do you ride the internet bareback like myself? Feels good man.