Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Computery questions

Quote Originally Posted by Gnorlin View Post
    you'll have to quote my post and copy/past from there to get the proper formatting if you intend to actually run the script. Tabs are very important in Python and 0% important in HTML.
    Just use a [code] block:

Code:
    dict = {}
    start = ord('a')

for i in range(0, 26):
        dict[chr(start+i)] = (i % 13) + 1;

while True:
        word = input( "enter a word: " )

count = 0;
        for char in word:
            count = count + dict[char]

print( "total: " + str(count) )

Thank you both very muchly. We did manage to find "zoologist" equals 60. I'm not quite sure what this lesson teaches, but it was hard.

Of course that page is blocked on his school chromebook, but we used it on my computer. Good thing the school blocks sites that allow kids to learn programming.

Just google "python online" or something. There's a browser based interpreter right on python.org (copy, paste, hit enter):
    Attached Images Attached Images

I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the "Things which provoke anger" thread. This thread won.

Like most everybody these days I work exclusively from home. My personal computer is a Windows 10 box. My work computer is a 2018 MacBook Pro.

I have an Asus ROG something-something 27 something-something monitor.

My monitor has both DisplayPort and HDMI inputs. Until recently I had an old KVM which I used just to switch the keyboard and mouse between computers. My Windows PC connected to DisplayPort and my Mac connected using HDMI.

Then I thought "This is dumb. Let's get a DP KVM so I can stop using the little switch in the back of the monitor to toggle between DP and HDMI." So I plunked down $70 for an IoGear DP KVM.

I hooked it all up. Worked great for the Windows 10 box, not so much for the Mac. I got it to display once but then it no workee.

I contacted IoGear support and the guy said that the KVM I bought supported DP1.1 but not DP1.2 which is probably what my Mac was putting out. He suggested I get a slightly more expensive one that does DP1.2

So I returned the $70 one and got the $100 one.

I hooked that one up and it works much better. However, when on my Mac it will randomly and spontaneously lose the DP connection. To get it back I have to unplug my USB-C -> DP dongle and plug it back in. It's not hard, but it's annoying to have your screen go black when you're in the middle of working on something.

So I contacted IoGear support again asking their thoughts on why this is happening and what I can do about it. Here are the support guy's responses:

That is an issue with display port and how it handles each configuration Data transferred by DisplayPort is packet format. Therefore, DisplayPort KVM switches cannot support Video DynaSync (EDID Emulation) which is inherent for DisplayPort .
    Uh, okay. I asked if there was something I could do about it.

Sorry there is no setting you can change it
    Erm, so they sell a product that they think can't work right?

Is this guy just a doofus who doesn't know what he's talking about, or is there really no way to do DisplayPort with a KVM involving a Windows 10 machine and a Mac?
    - Definitely

After my limited experiences with DisplayPort during 2020 WFH daze, I can only add that I think DisplayPort is shit and we should all stick with HDMI or USB-C.

DisplayPort is the only "standard" I've encountered that will let you plug in a cable, but then just not work for no particular reason. Backward compatibility? What's that?

I also have had issues with display port, specifically when waking up a PC after the monitor goes to sleep. (Windows machine)

I'm wondering if I should just dump DisplayPort altogether and get an HDMI based KVM and be done with it.
    - Definitely

I have an Arris SB6141 modem. I'm on my provider's 200/10 plan (200 Mbps down, 10 Mbps up). Streaming gameplay with 10 Mbps up is an absolute nightmare and I'm tired of it. So I called Spectrum and asked if I could upgrade.

He said they have a 400/20 plan I can get for an extra $20/month, and oh also by the way, not only do I need a new modem, but my current modem is technically only good enough for the 100/5 plan.

So, I'm buying an Arris SB6190 and upgrading to the 400/20 plan this week. Hopefully I'll be able to play TFT and Depth while streaming, and not lose my fucking mind with anger.