Page 80 of 80 FirstFirst ... 3070787980

Thread: Money

Holy moly, S&P down 3% today. Negative for the whole year now.

My 401k is going to auto re-balance next week. Since the market is quite tumultuous should I tell it not to re-balance right now?

The market probably won't ever not be tumultuous. I wouldn't perturb your normal shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    Right now, my entire portfolio looks something like 70% stocks, 17% bonds, 13% cash. Some portion of that cash is ready to be invested, and the market's had a couple days worth of corrections. If that continues, I'll happily buy stock at a discount, so thanks for talking me off the mortgage-ledge! If this is just a two-day dip, I'll say "aw shucks" and buy stocks anyway. For now... I'm waiting.
    Market down like 10%

Cool, decent discount, let's jump in

Market instantly drops another 3%

Not as sad as I could have been, but still a little sad

Well, the verdict is in for 2018: "the market" (VTSAX) was down 7.7% for the whole year, at least based on my 30 seconds of math on Google Finance. First down year since 2008, the Bull Market is finally ended, all hail the New Recession. Actually feels a little nice, the tension was starting to get to me. If your net worth continued to increase in 2018, well done! You worked and saved what you could, and the market couldn't beat you down.

I got a chunk of INTU stock at the beginning of December (the third and final installment of my "signing bonus"), right when things were starting to tank. Unfortunately, there's a 6 week blackout period (starting Jan. 3) where Intuit employees can't sell. So I have to either act immediately (today/tomorrow) or wait. Of course I plan to wait, it would suck to miss out on a little bit of potential bounce-back while I painstakingly settle one trade, make a slow-ass transfer from one entity to another, then wait for funds to settle at Vanguard and finally buy what I want. But blackout periods are shit.

What I should have done is sell instantly, as I always do. But I didn't do that, and as the market dropped more and more, it pained me and I couldn't pull the trigger. So here I am.

Did my taxes. Our income went up, our deductions went down, our credits went up, our effective tax rate went down, and our refund went down.

I'm not sure how exactly but I feel like the new tax laws did not pan out in my favor. Our deductions were down $13,000 over last year, while credits only went up $1,000, and our refund dropped by a thousand.

I don't feel like I got a tax cut.

Supposedly the White House was pressuring the IRS to artificially lower withholding in 2018, so people would see "bigger paychecks" and think IT'S WORKING!!

Now those chickens are coming home to roost.

Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    I got a chunk of INTU stock at the beginning of December (the third and final installment of my "signing bonus"), right when things were starting to tank. Unfortunately, there's a 6 week blackout period (starting Jan. 3) where Intuit employees can't sell.
    If you fuck up (like me) and don't manage to sell ESPP/RSU shares immediately, converting them to cold hard cash for investment elsewhere, then at least you should get lucky (like me) and watch your locked-up shares go on a tear while you're not allowed to touch them.

INTU is up 20% since the blackout started on Jan. 3rd, and 25% since the bottom on Dec. 24th. Thanks, I guess, for limiting my agency over my financial future with your bullshit trading windows, Intuit!

When does the blackout end?

Feb. 25th, at which time I'll either sell immediately or see if I can put in a stop loss order. They probably don't support that for RSU shares, but we'll see.