Page 74 of 80 FirstFirst ... 24647273747576 ... LastLast

Thread: Money

Well, my old Yahoo 401k is moving from Vanguard to Fidelity. I expected this to happen eventually -- I haven't been at Yahoo for several years now; in fact they don't really exist anymore.

I've got stuff at various companies already (though nothing at Fidelity)... but the bulk of my retirement/investments are at Vanguard. I could just let this happen, and consider the fact that a portion of my savings are moving to Fidelity to be a form of diversification. Vanguard is fucking huge, what happens in the unlikely event they can't cover every one of their trillions of dollars?

Or, I could call Vanguard and transfer the 401k into an IRA, keep it under the same roof. Traditional would interfere with my attempts to "Backdoor Roth" my way to retirement, and Roth would be a taxable conversion...

I hate money sometimes.

Leave it "diversified" with Fidelity for a while and see how it goes. I've heard of them as a passable alternative to Vanguard so they might not be that terrible.

Fidelity is fine. I've got a 401(k) from an old employer there and it's actually all in Vanguard funds. I haven't had any problems with it.

I keep it there rather than rolling into my current employer's 401(k) because it gives me access to VIIIX and its delicious 0.02% fee. Gigantic company 401(k) plans are nice.

I just logged into Citi's and Chase's websites, and changed the due dates for my credit cards there to the 27th of every month, syncing them up perfectly with my credit union card and car loan due dates. I'm so excited. Merry Christmas, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    But it made me take a hard look at my asset allocation, and I realized ... my portfolio had been dragged down to 15% bonds over the last few years.
    After moving my Roth IRA to 100% bonds, and my old YHOO 401(k) to 40% bonds, I'm up to a total of 24.48% bonds across all investments (and my overall expense ratio has dropped from 0.09 to 0.08 percent, omg).

Feeling less exposed now. Also less likely to make a billion dollars in Trump's "stable genius" bull market, unfortunately, but less exposed regardless.

I've never done my own taxes and have always had my aunt do them for me since she'd do it for free. It gets more and more cumbersome to get her all the documents each year, and now I'm staring down the barrel of needing to send something like a dozen forwards to her just to find out I forgot a handful of things.

Should I just buy TurboTax and do this myself? As far as I'm aware, she doesn't itemize or do anything particularly exotic with our taxes. Thoughts?

Well, I can get you a heaviliy discounted key for TurboTax if you want to go that route. I've been using it for 3-4 years now, and for the most part it's a totally smooth ride. If anything strikes you as odd in your results, or if you have any strange edge cases, there's a large index of details and tips, plus a whole internet to search ("how do I .... in TurboTax?"). But 95% of the time, you'll be answering questions ("did you sell a goose this year") and entering numbers from your forms. Let the software think for you, it barely counts as "doing your own taxes."

Do it yourself. I started having a pro do them in college because I was dumb and had financial aid stuff to deal with, plus my mom paid for it. Then my wife and I kept going to a pro because it was someone her dad knew and it was cheap because of that connection. Then I realized our taxes are relatively simple and tried it myself. I used both Tax Cut and Turbo Tax, and have used Turbo Tax the last 4-5 years, it's easy. Even itemizing deductions is easy. And like Mac said you just google questions or you can call TT for questions. I actually find it fun to do with TurboTax.

Oh yeah, and have Mac buy it for you, thanks Mac!

I'm sold. Let me know what I've gotta do and I'll get it done before my vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    After moving my Roth IRA to 100% bonds, and my old YHOO 401(k) to 40% bonds, I'm up to a total of 24.48% bonds across all investments (and my overall expense ratio has dropped from 0.09 to 0.08 percent, omg).

Feeling less exposed now. Also less likely to make a billion dollars in Trump's "stable genius" bull market, unfortunately, but less exposed regardless.
    It's a bloodbath! The S&P 500 is down 5% in the past week, rapidly approaching "correction" territory. Some day, when I'm sipping red wine squeezed out of a dirty rag I left in the sun, sitting on a chair made of hubcaps, I'll look back on my decision to move (slightly) toward bonds and wonder whether the ten dollars I rescued was ultimately worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbie View Post
    I'm sold. Let me know what I've gotta do and I'll get it done before my vacation.
    I sent you an email.