Page 75 of 77 FirstFirst ... 25657374757677 LastLast

Thread: Money

Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    It's a bloodbath! The S&P 500 is down 5% in the past week, rapidly approaching "correction" territory.
    Last week I initiated the transfer of my stupid annuity over to my Vanguard account, I'm curious how the transfer will go. At what moment my assets will be liquidated and how much will actually end up being transferred. If it were sitting in the Vanguard Money Market account right now I'd probably happily leave it there for a week or more until the market seems to have leveled out.

I did my taxes all by myself yesterday! It took about 90 minutes and I'm paying in roughly the same I did last year so I feel pretty confident I did things right. That said, it's more than I'd like to pay in, so I may play with some things to see what I can do to offset that. If I can throw that amount of money to charity instead, I may just do that. If that's not the right avenue, I'll bounce around my deductions a bit or something. $3500 is just a bit more than I'd like to have to kick back annually if I can avoid it or spread it out at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    I just logged into Citi's and Chase's websites
    Quote Originally Posted by nynnja View Post
    Last week I initiated the transfer of my stupid annuity over to my Vanguard account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbie View Post
    I did my taxes all by myself yesterday!
    Everybody's so grown up! I'm proud of us all.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbie View Post
    That said, it's more than I'd like to pay in
    I always get a refund. It's starting to bother me. I'd fuck around with my witholdings, but I just got married last year, added another allowance and will be filing jointly for the first time, so I need to give it another year to get acclimated to the new setup before I can make any tweaks.

Yay us!

My transfer status is still stuck on the first checkbox so I sent them an email. I'm worried I didn't finish something or need to fill in additional information.

Don't worry it's only your entire life savings

I finally actually looked at a paycheck to see how much I was impacted by the new tax code. Turns out I get about $134 more a month. Not bad, and I had looked beforehand to know that we were in a tax bracket that would gain some very nice advantages from the new code, but I still don't really like what it does long term to people not as well off.

I got a promotion/raise at work, and I've also been stuffing 50% of my paycheck into my 401(k) since Jan. 1, so I have literally zero clue what impact the tax bill has had on my net income.

50%? Do you just front load the first part of the year, hit the cap, then feel like a raise on the backside?

Probably trying to maximize employer contribution as early as possible. I do something similar.

Last couple of weeks were rough though and may have taken a bite of these contributions.

Ah. We don't have that really. They do a contribution, but they aren't obligated so we just get to appreciate whatever it is they give when they feel like it. My wife's company does a 50% match with no cap. That's just fantastic, so naturally, she maxes out every year, but it's spread out monthly all year long.