Page 3 of 83 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Money

Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    I'm going to try and refinance. All of the following applies only if my appraisal comes in and I've lost no more than 20% of my home's value in the past three years since buying it. At the 20% loss mark, paying down to 80% loan-to-value (LTV) prior to the refinance would more or less wipe out my savings.
    We're in business. The appraisal came in at only 9.8% down from my original purchase price.

Which means... *checks spreadsheet* ...holy shit, I'm actually not even underwater on my current mortgage. I'd been taking that for granted this whole time! Sweeeeeet.

I don't know an estimated monthly payment of $1.93 is pretty steep.

Well, now that my mortgage is squared away for a while, I'm eyeballing my student loans for no particular reason. There's no way I'll pay them off ahead of schedule unless I win the lottery; I'm paying 1.625% interest on a remaining amount of $7600, and I have mortgage double-payments to make and a new car to buy in the next couple years (prior to my poor car's next smog check) before that looks remotely like a good idea.

But if I did win the lottery and pay Sallie Mae what I owe them... I could save $19.61 (of interest) per month for the next six and a half years!

THAT'S TWENTY GODDAMNED DOLLARS I COULD BE SPENDING AT STARBUCKS.

spreadsheet addiction is a terrible thing

You only have $7600 left on your loans?!
    Oooh, shiny!

Check out my gaming channel on Youtube! Streams, videos, and more right here!

Well, I worked all summer (plus odd jobs during the school year) to pay for the fall semesters, and my parents picked up the spring semesters for me. And I've been paying the loans off now for 8-9 years.

That said, I went to school for a whopping 6.5 years. I paid in-state tuition at a branch university in the UW system and lived within my means, otherwise I would never have been able to afford it (not to mention my parents would never have agreed to go halvesies).

I came out the other end with a good education, and nobody has ever cared that it didn't come from Carnegie Mellon or MIT. I contend that people who pay $10-15k (or more) per semester just to get brand name recognition are doing it wrong. There may be great reasons to go to an Ivy League college, but simply "it's a good school" isn't one of them.

When we get a time machine can you please go back to 1997 and explain that to younger me? Thanks.

Did they screw you pretty bad on the tuition front?

Yeah, I'm a dumbass and thought MSOE was a really good idea. I currently work with 30-40 people who went to nice cheap state schools.

Right now I've got about $10,000 in my investment account that's not doing anything. I've had it there for a bit under a month while I try to figure out what to do with it. Anybody got a hot stock tip?

I'm looking at Tata Motors out of India (TTM) and seriously considering throwing my money that way. They give a nice dividend and seem to have some up good upside moving forward.

if any of you suggest buying shares of Apple, I'll kill you.