Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: board games

I have some cheapo poker chips for use in games like Power Grid. But here's these sweet designer chips specifically designed for (non-poker) gaming!

https://iron-clays-and-spades.backer...eorders/193859

And they're gorgeous. But so expensive. And I don't really need them at all. But I wanna link them, because they're really nice.

Homemade Animal Crossing-themed copy of Splendor:

https://old.reddit.com/r/boardgames/...ossing_themed/

Steam has an online version of Root and it looks amazing, the production values are surprising. Just watched somebody play through the tutorial, and it's really well done.

Here's a YouTuber getting into a review copy of Root: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qRo...re=emb_rel_end

It does look pretty damn good for $15

I don't see playing this anytime soon in the Covid era, but I kinda want to buy this game now just to have it.

Anomia
    - Definitely

Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    I have some cheapo poker chips for use in games like Power Grid. But here's these sweet designer chips specifically designed for (non-poker) gaming!

https://iron-clays-and-spades.backer...eorders/193859

And they're gorgeous. But so expensive. And I don't really need them at all. But I wanna link them, because they're really nice.
    Looking at these again now, with lust in my heart. The set is C$55.00 and... I assume that's 55 Canadiabucks, which comes out to something like $42 in American.

Meanwhile, I got a box of 100 clay chips ("Made in China" trash) for $17. They're not as luxurious, but they work fine. Interestingly, the denominations are different, which makes me wonder about "optimality" for different types of gaming.

The Iron Clays set ($42 for 100 chips):

• 40 x 1
    • 20 x 5
    • 10 x 10
    • 20 x 20
    • 10 x 100

And my Da Vinci China Chips set (currently $19 for 100 chips):

• 25 x 1
    • 25 x 5
    • 25 x 25
    • 25 x 100

Fewer 1's and way more 100's, 25's instead of 20's, and no 10's at all. In practice, it hasn't been an issue yet, but obviously I'm unlikely to run out of 100's in a game any time soon. Unless we start playing Monopoly.

But the distribution of the Iron Clays set just makes me wonder, like, what kind of thinking did they do, what kinds of games do they intend to support, how much better is that arrangement of point values than my vanilla poker set? Curious.

Games do tend to go up by increments of 10 pretty often. Like tracking life totals in MtG for example -- would be way simpler with the Iron Clays chips (start with a single 20, make change from there by stepping down to 10+5 and some 1's).

I'm excited and I must share something with the group.

Ever since I crunched a couple board games with my fat ass -- getting into my car while carrying them in a grocery bag -- I've been on the lookout for something slightly more durable, and yet not too huge. I can't store/carry the games sideways (on edge), since many of them have got a hundred little components, they're not all bagged, and I don't want them scattering around. I've been using a standard size Bankers Box, and that works fine. Will fit just about any standard size board game, right up to the extra-long box of something like Power Grid. It's just I feel a little silly, carrying a cardboard moving box into my friend's house. So maybe this is just vanity talking, but I wanted something more scenario-appropriate, and the search has continued.

Today, I bought one of these Threshold 13" storage bins from Target. They fold flat when you're not using them, and as it turns out, they're the perfect size for a 12"x12" (actually 11.5"x11.5") box like Wingspan or Spirit Island. There's even a little finger room around the edges to get in there and pull stuff out. It's perfect. Won't hold a longer box, like the aforementioned Power Grid, or probably even Pandemic. But it's perfect for the set of games I tend to carry around.
    Attached Images Attached Images