Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: board games

Incidentally, speaking of Not Alone, it's out of print or something... the only copies I could find on Amazon were from third-party sellers and somewhat-to-absurdly overpriced ($35+ not including shipping).

This weekend I went out to a game shop hoping to find it, and no dice. So I looked for other vendors online, and stumbled across this site:

https://boardgameco.com/

Seems like basically Swappa for board games. I got a "Very Good" copy of Not Alone for $12 + shipping. I'll let you know how it turns out, but I'm optimistic. Sadly they don't have any copies of Root.

EDIT: Wow, never mind, not out of print... just out of stock. If you want your own copy, order now for a whopping $7.99 on Amazon. My typical luck. Buy a used copy Sunday, brand new copy for $8 on Monday.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Macheath; 01-13-2020 at 10:24 AM.

Thanks! Bought it.

I'm not seeing a $7.99 option as of right now. Looks like it is in high demand and people are buying it out when it comes available.

Quote Originally Posted by liuv View Post
    I'm not seeing a $7.99 option as of right now. Looks like it is in high demand and people are buying it out when it comes available.
    Well then, you're in my boat.

https://boardgameco.com/products/not-alone

They have an "Excellent" copy for $16 + shipping. Mine was just "Very Good."

Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    I got a "Very Good" copy of Not Alone for $12 + shipping. I'll let you know how it turns out, but I'm optimistic. Sadly they don't have any copies of Root.
    Holy shit I lucked out, my used copy is in perfect condition, and was clearly owned by a grown-up. Every single card is sleeved, all components are present, the only signs of wear are a few barely-visible scuffs on the outside of the box. Literally better than new!

Will be checking this site again next time I'm looking for something hard to find.

My new copy should be delivered today, about 2 weeks earlier than it said it would be.

I played Not Alone a couple more times today, 1v1. The first game, I was having a real hard time as the creature. With 3+ hunted moving around, it's way more likely you'll just bump into one by chance... with only 1, it's a pretty tall order. So I lost bad. But then in the second game, suddenly I was in my opponent's head, and I won handily.

\_(ツ)_/

Also got my mitts on a copy of Arboretum and played several rounds of that. It's a beautiful game, very relaxing, fast to get through a round. Just a little complicated to figure out the scoring. Easy to learn, unbelievably hard to master. Probably exponentially harder with more than 2 players.

Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    I'm horny as fuck for Root. I have almost no interest in actually playing the game, but it's gorgeous and I want to try it. Everything I've heard about it tells me it's unlikely to appeal to me (though of course that could be wrong) but I want to buy it because it's gorgeous. I just want to own it. Look at the art. Look at it.

PS: same guys made Vast, and it has similarly sexy-AF art. And similarly "appealing-at-first-but-then-you-think-about-it" asymmetric gameplay. Cleverly designed games that nobody seems to want to play more than a couple times.
    After VAST and ROOT now they're releasing OATH on The Kickstarters. For once it seems to be less about asymmetric gameplay, and more about legacy.

Though they're very explicit that it's "not a legacy game," I'm not sure I understand how that's true when they also say shit like "A single decision could reverberate for dozens of games afterwards." So, let's be real here, it's a legacy game.

200 cards, 300 illustrations, a neoprene mat instead of a board. It looks sexy as fuck, again. And I'm not sure I want to commit to it as a game, again. Legacy is an awesome concept, but in practice I just don't have the people to play it with on a regular basis for weeks or months, in order to feel like I'm getting the most out of it.

It sure is beautiful, though. Probably worth owning just as a piece of art. I dunno.

I bought 7 Wonders because I really enjoyed it. The kids seem to like it, I'm convinced Rory was cheating in the last game because he ended up with 15- 3 gold coins. He was on the other side of the table so I wasn't watching him super closely. I didn't realize setup was very involved because we played it with 7 players so we just put all the cards in. It's a bit more setup than I like to do in a game, but it's fun anyway.

Yeah, setting up the initial piles of cards (for the three ages) is slightly labor intensive, more so if you're playing with a different number of people from one game to the next.

7 Wonders Duel is supposedly marvelous and well loved. I've never played it, but it's a version of the game that's set up and balanced for two players. So there's no worry about removing cards marked 6+ or whatever.