Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: board games

I somehow completely missed the January Skylanders release. I think it was only by a day or two, but I didn't see a single one at any store. I have an extra Stealth Elf, but it was one of the package ones so it's not in the box anymore.

D&D isn't a board game, but we don't have a D&D thread and I don't feel compelled to make one.

This dude wrote a story based on a Jack Chick tract. Don't even read the Chick tract until after you've read the story, the story is better and it's more fun to draw the pictures in your own head. The first part of the story, with Marcie, is really well written and kind of extremely sad.

We played a board game called Talisman on Saturday. There are several expansions for the game that add new sub-boards (Highlands, Dungeon, Dragon, City) and we put all of them together, along with the werewolf expansion ("Bloodmoon" maybe?) that adds a day/night cycle. The table was much more complicated than usual. The game took eight hours.

board.jpg

pan.jpg

It's a terrific game. If I had to explain it in five words or less, it would be "Monopoly plus World of Warcraft."

Unrelated note: a couple weeks before the Talisman game, we played D&D, and at one point the sun shot into the room and illuminated one of our miniatures. I took a picture. Nobody else really noticed, but I did.

dand.jpg

Is that figure holding the Staff of Ra?

We did Talisman overnighters 25 years ago, it was a great game. I haven't played the 4th edition yet, but I am sure Fantasy Flight is doing it proud. I sold off most of my 2nd edition Talisman stuff, it was going for insane amounts on Ebay years ago. I think I still have the main game and Adventure supplement.

Descent is another FF game that can take hours on end, nice minis, kinda like the old Heroquest in play style.

Otherwise it is constant Ticket To RZide in our home, all x-pacs as well, with some Dominion throw in lately (card game).

Quote Originally Posted by nynnja View Post
    Is that figure holding the Staff of Ra?
    Well, I sure hope so. That sunbeam isn't going to be very useful otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by thumblewort View Post
    We did Talisman overnighters 25 years ago, it was a great game. I haven't played the 4th edition yet, but I am sure Fantasy Flight is doing it proud. I sold off most of my 2nd edition Talisman stuff, it was going for insane amounts on Ebay years ago. I think I still have the main game and Adventure supplement.
    Cool, I think I may have seen 3rd edition, but I doubt I've ever seen 2nd. Some of the guys I play with have all kinds of stories about characters who were banned from their house, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by thumblewort View Post
    Otherwise it is constant Ticket To RZide in our home, all x-pacs as well, with some Dominion throw in lately (card game).
    Dominion is cool, but they've been pumping out too many expansions for my taste. They all add one wacky mechanic or another.

I have owned Talisman for years and recently 'upgraded' to the current version of the game. It is an amazingly fun game but can take hours to play if people aren't being very aggressive. We ended up playing the exact same layout as what you had there and the game lasted 6 hours or something like that (we were over building characters without question).

Extremely fun game, definitely worth buying if you are looking for another good board game.

Quote Originally Posted by Fendruil View Post
    (we were over building characters without question).
    That was certainly part of our problem. What disappointed me was, another guy got "critical mass" first, and he headed up to the Plains of Peril. By the time I built my stats up to his level and made my way over there, he had several turns worth of a lead on me, and the way movement works in that damn inner region, there was literally no chance for me to overtake him. I was really dejected over how inevitable things became once he entered the area around the Crown of Command. It would have taken a stupendously unlucky turn to knock him backward a space or two. I caught up a little bit with a "Time Steal" spell, but there was no way to teleport closer to him, or swap our positions, or anything else you'd expect to work -- because you don't make normal movement rolls, therefore nothing that replaces a movement roll will work.

The only way to beat someone once they get in there, assuming they're capable of downing the end boss, is to quickly whip through the Dungeon and beat that boss -- if you beat him badly enough, by like 8+ points, he'll teleport you straight to the Crown of Command. I can't think of any other way to overtake somebody in the inner region.

Brings back memories of sleepless night, getting to the middle of the board and flipping over the void card or whatever and dying instantly.

Or Gencon 2000'ish in Milwaukee, and having people hating me because I'd attack their character instead of encountering the space.........loved playing the ghoul, totally OP character. I think I won the Talisman tourney that year because I was the only one to show up for the finals (with the GM). Probably shouldn't have framed the lame duck certificate!

I play with a bunch of pussycats, so none of them attack players and I typically don't either as a result. If I got a character that would be good in PVP, though, I might be able to make a killing in that crowd.

Problem is, if you go for monsters and you're playing with faster stat-up rules (every 5 points = turn in for a stat, instead of the normal "every 7 points" rule) you generally stand to gain more from that. On average, every two monsters early in the game nets you either +1 strength or +1 craft. If you were hunting down players instead, what can you take from them? 1 gold, 1 item, or -1 HP for them? Kind of underwhelming. The Ghoul is definitely a special case, I'll grant you that. But if you spend your time killing everyone else, you've still got to build your own stats up to have a shot at winning the game, otherwise you're just prolonging things.