Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: board games

I played Zombicide for the first time last night. I absolutely loved it. The rules are simple, the art is consistent and pleasingly comic-booky, the figures and board are very high quality, and there are a shitload of expansions (if you go for that kind of thing).

We played a two-player game in which we each controlled three survivors (and our goal was basically just: Escape!) on a medium-difficulty scenario built for 4+ survivors, and we didn't mix in any of the tougher zombie types from the expansions, so it was a fairly easy introduction. That said, we really kicked its ass. Not a single zombie managed to touch us, and all six survivors made it off the map. We did leave a fucking horde behind us, though:
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've played some of these! I'm like Wil Wheaton!!

I have Takenoko! It's a fun game to play with my wife, and eventually my kids though they're too young for it now.

King of Tokyo is a great game to play with kids because it isn't boring (like go fish, old maid, candyland or any of the other kid standards) and it's fun for them even if they don't get that strategy is involved. Though Ruby has hit on a great strategy, get into Tokyo and refuse to leave, ever. Rely on the kindness of the other players to not utterly destroy a 4 year old. She usually ends up winning.

I can vouch for Lords of Waterdeep. There's a pretty decent iPad/iPhone version. While the phone version is far too small, the iPad one is great. There have been numerous times I've sat at the bar with friends and played it hot seat style, passing the pad around.

I have played and enjoyed both King of Tokyo and Lords of Waterdeep. I've got friends with Takenoko, and it looks good to me, but apparently they got bored of it relatively quickly because they never drag it out for me anymore.

Dang, I haven't played any of Wil's favorites. We just bought Hive and have been having good 2 player games with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnorlin View Post
    I have Takenoko! It's a fun game to play with my wife, and eventually my kids though they're too young for it now.
    Teaching your kids boardgames is risky. I taught my 10 year old daughter how to play Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries. She dutifully played. At the end of the game we were exactly tied...until I realized that she fulfilled more tickets than me.
    - Definitely

My wife and I went to a friend's house and played Ticket to Ride for the first time. She got hooked immediately. Turns out, I had picked up the Steam version in a Humble Bundle at some point and I mentioned it to her. Took a crow bar to get her off the computer for a good while.

Hey guys since I've been running WoW with you guys i've started up 2 board gaming groups (one was when i was on an extended stay for work so had to leave it ) I have a whole bunch, and have looked up a lot of reviews so ask away!

Lords of Waterdeep is an amazing game. Every group I bring it to has a lot of fun with it. It's easy to pick up for a worker placement game. There aren't to many resources so people don't get lost. Quests are easy to obtain/understand/do. The 8 turn structure contains the game time-wise very well while not rushing things to much. High recommendation. (meeples > cubes https://www.meeplesource.com/proddet...dsOfWaterdeep1)

Legendary, on the other hand, is a lot of fun, but a royal pain to set up and break down. Pick the villain, the scenario, find the henchmen, randomly pick some enemy sets for # of players, be sure you have the right number of plot cards for the # players, be sure you have enough scenario cards for # players. Make sure the deck is thoroughly shuffled. and if anyone says "I'm out" or "ohh i want to play too" you need to look up all the new numbers and add/remove cards. Breakdown is taking all the cards and organizing them in the right categories again so setup isn't more of a nightmare.

Played "7 Wonders" this past weekend. Good game that revolves around resource management and opportunity cost. It's quick too. Took us awhile to teach it to ourselves, but after that games took about 30 minutes. Any one else played it and/or have suggestions for games that are similar?

We like complicated/involved games, but they tend to be long. 7 Wonders was a nice break from having to commit an entire evening/day/weekend to a single match.