Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: board games

So I've been craving to update my boardgame collection for family gaming nights and such (with a 10 and 13yo). Right now the most played games we have are Carcassone, Talisman, and Munchkin.

The list that I've worked up, via looking at boardgamegeek and watching a lot of reviews from the likes of https://www.shutupandsitdown.com/

In no particular order...

1. Kingdom Builder (big box)- I wanted to consider this vs Catan (I've played Catan), but I think this one looks equally good (and the Catan big box isn't on amazon)
    2. Dead of Winter: Long Night - haven't played this, but it looked interesting and would fill the zombie niche
    3. Tales of Arabian Nights - a fun game I've played a handful of times with a friend. I think my kids would enjoy it. The conditions make the game humorous for sure.
    4. Mansions of Madness: 2E - to scratch some of that co-op and Cthulhu itch. Eldritch horror was another possibility, but people were steering me toward MofM
    5. Terra Mystica - This looks like a really cool control game with magic and resource management
    6. Concordia- a trading game
    7. City of Iron 2e- I've played Above and Below and this is by the same guy. Some similar elements.
    8. Merchants and Mauraders - becuase I want a pirate themed game
    9. Archipelago- because I'm not sure I want this or M and M above

I will probably only start with 1 or 2 on that list and hopefully chip away at it over time. To be fair, there are other games I'd like as well. Shogun looks pretty cool. I'm probably (mostly) alone in wanting to play a "japan warring fiefs" game though- well among the adults anyway. Lords of Waterdeep also came up, but seemed more "heavy" compared to Kingdom Builder. Also Power Grid, but I thought that might be too number-crunchy. I also haven't figured out a good fantasy type co-op game yet- perhaps Warhammer Quest or similar.

Anyone have any other games I should consider checking out?

Edit: Oh yeah... I'm gonna try to get people to play some games for xmas this year. We'll see...
    Last edited by Threnn; 11-16-2016 at 12:56 PM.

Power Grid is awesome and not number crunchy at all.

You didn't say Settlers of Catan was in your current roster, or Ticket to Ride. Both are staples at our house. Concept and Bang are both cool too.

My wife and I have gotten a lot of enjoyment out of Takenoko.

Power Grid's one of my favorites. I've played enough Catan/TTR in the past that those are both way down my personal list, but they're objectively classic and should be on every game shelf.

If you're looking for a fantasy-themed cooperative games, Thunderstone is pretty good. Not really cooperative since one person wins, but I'd argue it feels quasi-cooperative since there's a bunch of monsters in a dungeon with a big boss at the end, who is attempting to ascend toward the village... and if he gets to the village, you all lose. It's a deckbuilder though, if you don't have any of those on your list. Dominion is another good deckbuilder.

I have a travel version of Settlers I was meaning to fish out for our upcoming trip. I also have Agricola in my library. We've never played that with the kids- when we got it one was too young for sure.

My favorite cooperative games are Zombicide and Pandemic. Pandemic is highly sensitive to # of players, but Zombicide can be played with almost any size group. Even one-player, I think.

There's actually a Zombicide: Black Plague out now, which has more of a fantasy flavor and improves some of the game's rules a bit, so I'd go that way if I was trying it out for the first time (you don't need the original base game or any expansions, Black Plague stands on its own).

I came back to mention that I'd picked up a few games so far and then I clicked on your link and Zombicide is 45% off today only!!! I haven't grabbed any co-op games yet. I got Kingdom Builder (Big Box), Tales of Arabian Nights, and Roll for the Galaxy. So far KB went over well. It was easy for everyone to pick up. Not so easy to master, but we played through 3 times in a row doing just the base game to get our bearing. The randomness of the tiles and cards means your strategy isn't always rote.

Then the other two games came. We played Roll for the Galaxy, but started late and since I hadn't read through the rules to be able to "just explain stuff", it was a tough slog. However... within a couple turns of playing everyone understood the turn mechanics. The hard part became learning a winning strategy. We ended early because it was late and people were tired, but everyone liked the game a whole lot better then than halfway through the rules.

Haven't gotten around to Arabian yet, but both my wife and I have played it before, so I know that'll go over easier and be fun.

There were a couple other co-op games people suggested to me. Descent 2e and Shadows of Brimstone. Have you played either of those?

Relatedish: I looked all over for my travel Settlers game. I can't find it anywhere. I remember seeing it when we were packing up to move. Something in the back of my head wonders if my wife said to "toss it and we'll just by the full version if we want" but I can't see myself having done that unless something was wrong with it (missing stuff, covered in vomit, etc). I hate when shit goes missing. It is probably with my new pair of boots that I bought before the move- also missing!

Quote Originally Posted by Threnn View Post
    I came back to mention that I'd picked up a few games so far and then I clicked on your link and Zombicide is 45% off today only!!!
    Wow, Black Plague for $55 is a pretty good deal. That said, I think the normal Amazon price is $65.

I got Kingdom Builder (Big Box), Tales of Arabian Nights, and Roll for the Galaxy.
    Haven't played Kingdom Builder myself, but anything with "Spiel des Jahres" on the front of the box gets an automatic pass from me. I have played Roll for the Galaxy, it is good.

There were a couple other co-op games people suggested to me. Descent 2e and Shadows of Brimstone. Have you played either of those?
    Have played Brimstone. It only came off the shelf once or twice. It's so complex and involved, and feels so much like a D&D encounter, that we basically decided we'd rather just play D&D.

Boy, two years since any posts in this thread. I've played a lot of new games in the past two years.

But this post is about Keyforge! I'm not particularly interested in it myself, but the central conceit is really neat and listening to these two guys discuss the pros and cons was worth the watch:

Along with Azul, my friend bought me the Pillars of the Earth board game as well. It's only 4 players, but it's pretty easy to grasp and quite fun. It's a worker placement game, much like another of my favorites, Viticulture. I've played it a couple times now and it goes quickly, is easily picked up, and quite approachable even from those that historically don't like games that involve anything other than going around in circles on a board.