Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Path of Exile (catchier than "free-to-play Diablolike")

Path of Exile (catchier than "free-to-play Diablolike")

So you're waiting for Diablo 3. I understand. I'm sure it will be a fun game. But if you miss Diablo 2, and going back and playing it makes your eyes bleed like it does mine, consider trying Path of Exile! It's in closed beta right now, but it will be in open beta soon -- and then once it's released it'll still be 100% free, so that's cool. It feels a lot like Diablo 2, except with the graphics of Diablo 3. I believe the devs plan to make money by offering cosmetic bonuses, but supposedly nothing that will change your performance in-game (i.e. you can't buy your way to godhood). Anyway, I think it looks good and deserves more attention, so here's a video of us fooling around. Everyone's doing Let's Play videos these days apparently, so we're just late to the party.

http://www.pathofexile.com/

The skill map is really similar to the "Sphere Grid" from Final Fantasy X, and I loved that thing. Your character can travel around that map, picking up whatever stat bonuses and passive effects you want. Your Ranger might find herself in Marauder territory, or vice versa. You don't get skills from a trainer or a tree, either -- you pick up skill gems as quest rewards or random drops and then slot them into your gear, which gives you that skill. So between the giant skill map and the fluid nature of your ability set, there's really no such thing as a class in this game. Equoria's Templar summons zombies, and my next character is going to be a Witch that swings a two-handed hammer around.

Aaaaand part two:

Great looking game, interesting commentary, lol.

Not exactly optimized, but I was curious to see how far I could get from the Witch starting area and this is what I ended up with. Every point is in two-handed swords, health, and armor. It's a melee powerhouse! I even see some other clusters of skills I'd like to grab, so chances are "optimizations" like dumping as much health/armor as possible to reach for even more melee damage could yield some interesting results.

My masterpiece (a.k.a. my second attempt)! Even more focus on two-handed damage, this time using maces.

And Drewbie said it wouldn't work.

I did? I think I said you were ridiculous, but not that it wouldn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbie View Post
    I did? I think I said you were ridiculous, but not that it wouldn't work.
    I clearly remember you saying it would not work, and you made a $100 bet that Mac couldn't make it work. Drewbie owes Mac $100.

Woo!

Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    My masterpiece (a.k.a. my second attempt)! Even more focus on two-handed damage, this time using maces.
    I found the "Resolute Technique" skill over on the far bottom-left side (Always Hit; Never Get Critical Strikes). I don't know how much of a problem missing is in melee, but I snagged that and shifted everything else around to drop as much Accuracy and Crit-related stuff as possible, and focus even more tightly on two-handed mace damage and attack speed. One trick pony, hooooo!

This is really kind of fun, the whole skill map is a minigame.

It's... it's beautiful...

Now all I have to do is get to level 100