Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Put down the fork fatty!!

Put down the fork fatty!!

Ok so.....I'm struggling. I've fallen off the wagon again. I'm having a hard time doing this by myself, especially when the stress of school is piled on. However, I'm moving to Florida and the last thing I want is to look like a fat American tourist. I want to take my dog on runs in our neighborhood, and I want shopping to be a fun thing again. Crying in the dressing room is not as glamorous as you might imagine.

So I am seriously contemplating trying the p90X system. There are things I like about it...they aren't saying it's easy. They aren't selling special equipment or shakes and bars. There are things that I don't like....it looks wicked hard! Wait I think that's the point.

Anyone familiar with it? Advice?
    I've seen some amazing youtube videos about people's weight loss and it makes me hopeful.

I don't know what P90X is, but I support you in your goals! I too would like to lose weight! TIME TO HIT THE GYM.

Forget P90X and read a book instead. I'm not saying don't work out but take it easy, P90X is intense. Ok, but I'm more concerned about the book part. Eat to Live by Dr. Joel Fuhrman. I actually read another of his books first called Cholesterol Protection for Life (see the attached PDF ... crap it's too big, PM me your email and I'll forward it). It teaches you all about our lousy western diet and how to fix it.

Basically eat 90% plants (fruits, nuts, vegetables, beans), a little meat, and some grains. Don't eat processed anything, cheese, or fried anything. That's probably a terrible summary, just read the book, it's a quick read. Give his program 6-weeks, a serious committed six weeks, and tell me it doesn't work.

Mac is a fan of telling me "You've never been FAT." We'll no, I've never been a candidate for The Biggest Loser, at most ever I weighed 220, but I've always struggled to keep my weight in check. Following this concept there is no struggle. I'm not hungry, I eat delicious food, I eat a lot, and I'm losing weight. I'm down 18 pounds since January without struggling or starving.

I started this because my cholesterol was too high and I'll be damned if I'm going to take drugs for it. I haven't gotten tested again since I started but I'll be sure to post when I do.

Roll your eyes if you like, tell me I don't understand your situation, whatever, just read the book.

I just got back from the world's shortest run. The route was about 1 kilometer, and I only ran... probably less than half of it, actually, and did the rest at a brisk walk. Granted, it's the first time I've run for any reason in many years, but it reminded me why I've never been a runner at any weight: my legs didn't get tired, but my lungs felt like they were filling with steel wool and blood. Is that normal? Running sucks.

Yes, and the only cure is to run more or sit down and never move again. In my experience your lungs and heart strengthen faster than your legs. Then the two groups seem to leapfrog each other as you push harder.

I don't know, fat people have very strong legs.

Until I can whip my lungs into shape, here's a guide to better breathing that seems more or less common sense.

Mouth or nose? Mouth, because more air. Diaphragm or chest? Diaphragm, because more air. :tmyk:

Quote Originally Posted by nynnja View Post
    Roll your eyes if you like, tell me I don't understand your situation, whatever, just read the book.
    I wouldn't roll my eyes, and I'm not going to say you don't understand my situation...you're giving me really good advice, which i will take! It's definitely something I want to read, I have to get through the other 2 books I bought on the subject first. "Eating Mindfully", and "The Binge Eating and Compulsive Overeating Workbook." I promise you those 3 books are the next 3 books I will be reading. And that's not a someday thing...I'm reading Eating mindfully this week for a speech I have to give on Friday. Both are fairly quick reads too.

I'm just looking for someone else to tell me what i can and can't have for a while...and exactly what to do, which is what I'm hearing this is. I don't need freedom right now..I need book camp.

I have a friend doing the P90x thing now.... He says it's definitely intense, and at first he couldn't make it through all of the exercises.....but over time he was. Trick is to not try and over-do it and end up pulling something, etc. There was quite a list of equipment he said it "recommends" and he doesn't have it all, but is able to do most of the things (so far...)

The good thing about it is that it gives you exactly what to do, as opposed to the vague "I think I'll walk for 30 minutes today...." type approach. Time will tell how well it works for him, but the workout is definitely good....he keeps complaining of being sore every morning :P

Quote Originally Posted by amavin View Post
    I'm just looking for someone else to tell me what i can and can't have for a while...
    Yes, that's what's cool about this. He explains it, says don't eat this crap, eat this really yummy stuff, and here are a bunch of delicious recipes. It's a pretty complete package.

Also, overeating... he explains the concept of toxic hunger. Basically the crappy food we eat makes us want more crappy food and makes us feel worse. Eat only healthy nutritious food and your body says thank you.