Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Put down the fork fatty!!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    Also, I felt kind of dizzy in the shower just now, and then remembered I hadn't eaten anything yet today. That may have played a role.
    ah yes, definitely possible. i try to eat at least a half of a banana before any workout. i don't recommend eating a full meal before any workout, but a little snack is good. full meal = you'll feel full/crappy the whole time.

Since late last summer, I am now down about 30 lbs. The two changes I've made that have had the biggest impact are using a smaller plate at meals I make at home, and drinking a great deal more water and rarely anything other than water. The water thing has probably done the most to make me feel better in addition to the help it's given in losing weight. The trip I took up to the BWCA to canoe last fall really showed just how good a glass of fresh water can be and I've not gone back since. I tend to have a big glass of water every time I feel hungry before I actually eat anything. Most of the time the water fills me up and I don't end up eating anything.

I've wanted to go running/jogging for a number of years, but more than a few chiropractors and doctors had told me that with my knees the way they are, unless I lost weight first, jogging would just destroy my knees. Last week, after reading this thread, I felt like I should give it a try. So far I've walked/jogged probably 6 1/2 miles in the past week and am set to go again tomorrow morning. I'm not feeling any knee pain and it's hard to remember when I've felt as good as I have at the end of the runs I've done. I'm actually looking at running a 5k in June and using that as a motivator to keep up with the couch to 5k plan.

Anyway, I'll try to keep this thread updated with my progress.

Good luck to you Ama! My wife and I are going back to Atkins/Low Carb after tax season is done, her first time, and my 4th or 5th time. I can knock off the first 30 lbs in a couple months, it's just when they come back over the next 10 months is what I have to avoid......

Hooray - Great job Drew!
    As for me...I haven't been good, went to Boston and ate terribly all weekend, like the rest of the poor anime geeks. Drank a lot too, but we had fun (after some interpersonal drama between the groups).

So I'm not going to beat myself up for it. I'm not going to feel like I failed. I'm just going to get back on it.
    I really do want to do that couch to 5k program! My fat boxer dog needs to do it too!

We move in 5 weeks!! So then I'll have a nice flat, WARM, and sunny neighborhood to walk/jog through. I can't wait!

Where are you moving too Ama?

Hey Thumble!!!

I've tried Atkins, it worked briefly and I felt like crap then gained back all the weight. Sounds like you might have had a similar experience.

Let me make a suggestion, watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LruyZ...eature=related

If that peaked your interest read Eat to Live. I'm changing the way I eat and it's working like crazy.

Yes this guy sells books and some other things that people find hard to get locally, but he's not trying to sell you a weight loss plan. You don't have to buy meals, pills, or plans ... he just explains how to eat healthy natural food.

If you follow this for six weeks and don't see a drastic change I'll buy you a #1 at McDonalds.

Looks like they had to correct some statistics at 4:40 in that video. Totally seamless edit.

Quote Originally Posted by Fendruil View Post
    Where are you moving too Ama?
    Lehigh Acres, FL!
    Just outside of Fort Myers - omg I can't wait!!

Nynny, I will look into that because (as much as I deny it), eating correctly is the only way to lose and keep it off. I like Atkins beacuse I like meat, and my energy level is good. But yes, and split second you dig into french fries you gain all of the water weight back overnight. Thanks man!

A friend of mine lost about 40 lbs in the last 3-4 months just by walking. He simply started doing an (almost) daily walk for about 30 minutes around the neighborhood. Once a week (usually on the weekend) he goes for an extra long walk of about 1.5-2 hours. He didn't have to drastically change much of anything else. It appears to be working very well for him.

I am curious to see how he will hold up now with the Texas heat starting. But if you live in a fair weathered place with a nice walking area, this maybe the easiest and most enjoyable method.