Page 3 of 97 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Minecraft

Yea, it kept crashing my game when I tried. Go figure.
    Oooh, shiny!

Check out my gaming channel on Youtube! Streams, videos, and more right here!

Administrator
    this weeks minecraft patch was just released, minecraft.net is completely slammed so logging into the game (and reebosak.net:143) is hit or miss. just a heads up since i just booted people off the server to restart. our new glass/lava room is coming along nicely, we'll post pics when we're done

release notes from Notch:

Seecret Saturday 1! But I failed Biomes AGAIN!
    The update is out, and I guess the biggest feature is Sneaking. Press (and hold, for now) shift to move slower. You won’t make sounds, and you won’t crush plants, and you won’t fall off ledges.

The big feature was supposed to be biomes. Again. And again I had to abort and rollback the code to get a release out. Again.
    I must stop trying to do it in a single sitting. Now I’ve spent almost two full days on it! I won’t work on it again until I can dedicate an entire week towards it.
    The main problem is that the transition between different biomes looks horrible. It’s either a chaotic wasteland of random blocks, or a sharp border of sudden ice. Actually generating the biomes themselves is interesting, and I can reuse a lot of the ideas from indev with the different level types. The floating island biome is kind of slow to generate, because it adds a second pass to fix waterfalls along all the edges.

The hell biome will be used for an alternate fast travel dimension. Have you read Wheel of Time? That.

There are a couple of other new things hidden in this release, but nothing game changing.

Man that Penny Arcade strip was super accurate. I was going to play some Starcraft this morning and fired up Minecraft instead and played for like 3-4 hours straight. ADDICTING!

I just realized that all the games I'm currently playing have the word Craft in them. Starcraft, Minecraft and Gemcraft.

Administrator
    GHAAAAAAA i just wanna get back on and finish this damn lava room! stupid minecraft.net bottleneck

I found some really great skins on a site that looked super professional but I have no idea how I found it. I'm gonna cry now.

Edit: found it!

Edit 2.0: I guess I'm too retarded to install the new skin. It says to put it in minecraft.jar but all I have downloaded is minecraft.exe.
    Last edited by Gnorlin; 09-18-2010 at 01:00 PM.

Blargh... whenever I try to log on the reebosak server it crashes the client
    Oooh, shiny!

Check out my gaming channel on Youtube! Streams, videos, and more right here!

Administrator
    OOPS! i ran into a little hitch while working on our awesome new room that has water for the ceiling and lava for the floor
    water_ceiling_lava_floor_room.png

but now we've discovered how to make obsidian (water+lava), and that might make a pretty badass floor, too

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnorlin View Post
    Edit: found it!

Edit 2.0: I guess I'm too retarded to install the new skin. It says to put it in minecraft.jar but all I have downloaded is minecraft.exe.
    the jar file is in your appdata folder:
    C:\Users\<your name>\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\bin

i just installed painterly, it looks great!

Administrator
    these server crashes are pissing me off.

good news about the last crash: glass/lava room is BACK! (pre-burned down state)

bad news: new floating island is gone, among many other things i'm sure.

i'm scouring around the minecraft forums some more to try and figure out why it keeps crashing, or at least to find a way to run the server in a verbose logging/debugging mode to try and gather more information