Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: It's that time again

Yeah, late last year we decided to pull the goalie, wait for her hormones to normalize over the holidays, and then start trying in January. We had a positive test on Feb 4 and the first ultrasound Feb 26th. We moved to remote work mid-March when they shut down the schools in WI. So, no, not a quarantine baby. We should be ahead of the boom and not have to worry about overcrowded maternity wards. Also, hopefully things will be getting back to normal-ish by the time it's ready to be born.

The whole pandemic thing is making for interesting times with baby stuff. For instance, they don't allow anyone other than the patient in for visits. That means that aside from the very first ultrasound on week 6-ish, I have not been able to go and be with her when she had more doc visits/ultrasounds. I'm mostly ok with it because that first one was where it really hit home that there was actually something alive in there. Subsequent ultrasounds it's just been bigger and all is well, so I've been ok with seeing it through a video call. Smart phones are really cool. I'm more worried about what happens if there's ever BAD news. If things are ever NOT well, she's alone at the hospital/clinic, and I'm stuck at the other end of a video call, I won't be ok with that.

Last we heard they're still allowing 1 (one) person attend births, which is fine with us. Neither of us understand people's desire to have others in the room for that. After the birth, assuming no complications, they target having you out the door within 24 hours. Hopefully things calm down in the next 4 months so that's all a little less extreme.

No thank you on the piss pants and the Little Monster Quarantine Extravaganza...

Congratulations. I wanted to come up with some sage advice but I've got nothing. Parenting sucks, and then it's awesome and then it sucks again, and then it's awesome again. Repeat.

I guess I do have one piece of advice, which is to look seriously into getting a doula if they lift the 1 person restriction. How many births have you been to? 0? Pathetic! I thought I was prepared for birth 1 but I wasn't. I knew I wasn't prepared for birth 2, and I wasn't. For birth 3, we hired a doula, but the birth went so quick she wasn't able to get there until after it was over. The point is, it would have been nice to have someone who knew what they were doing at all of the births. It might take some work to find one that isn't all about crystals and aura massages and other BS, but even the hippy ones have more experience than you do.

With an OB nurse wife, I'm skeptical of doulas because they often get in the way. With that said they do have experience and may help you better understand the process and communicate more effectively. Doula or not, listen to your nurse. Nurses know their shit and pay way more attention to the patient than the doctors.

Also, you can make plans all day long. You can have a full birth plan from water break to first feeding that is perfectly laid out. But make peace with the idea that absolutely none of that will happen. It might, but it probably won't and that's totally fine. I missed the birth of my first, oops. Once you're in the hospital and things are happening you may need to rely on the professionals that do this everyday. You have zero experience here, just because you read a book and made a plan you still know nothing compared to the doctors/nurses that have delivered hundreds of babies. It's all good, everyone there wants a healthy baby in the end.

We used midwives through the local hospital. There's a team of 4 or 5 of them that rotate meeting with you through the pregnancy so you're comfortable with them all, then you have the baby with whomever is on call that day. They take care of the mom and the pediatrician comes in to take care of the baby once there's a baby. It was great both times we went that route.