Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Song of Ice and Fire: George R. R. Martin never wrote anything called "Wild Cards"

Shared that with my brother-in-law. He's asking who you're talking about at the top. His guess was Gilly, mine was Sansa.

Definitely Sansa. Gilly is useless in the book and the show. I would trade a thousand Gillies and a billion of her stupid goddamn babies to get Oberyn Martell back.

Brief GRRM interview.

"I'm not gonna [write an episode] this season. You may have heard this rumor, I'm working on this book and people are anxious to read it, so, you know, usually it takes me about a month to produce the episode and I decided I just couldn't spare a month this year ... I'll do one for Season 6, maybe [if] the book is finished and delivered and out, but I gotta press everything into finishing the book."
    Let the reading-too-much-into-things commence!

1. GRRM didn't write a Season 5 script earlier this summer, because he was focusing on The Winds of Winter (and will continue to do so for the rest of 2014, from the sound of things).
    2. Scripts for the show are delivered in May/June, so that filming can begin in July/August.
    3. If GRRM feels that writing a Season 6 script might be in the cards, then he must be envisioning turning a finished copy of TWOW over to his publisher by next March/April, giving him a month to write the script prior to that deadline.
    4. When Season 5 begins airing in 2015, it will cover some of the AFFC/ADWD timeline. My opinion is that those two books contain enough material to stretch over three seasons. To be safe, though, let's say two books = two seasons.
    5. AFFC/ADWD content will be mostly done in the show by the end of Season 6, in that case, and will have aired by 2016. TWOW material will be converted into scripts that year, and Season 7 will air in 2017.
    6. Assuming AFFC/ADWD/TWOW all account for roughly one season each (which may be wildly inaccurate), GRRM has until roughly the beginning of 2018 to write his 7th (and final?) book -- hence beating Season 8 to the waiting public. Releasing both the final book and final season of the show at the same time would actually be pretty cool.

Can GRRM write a whole book in 2.5 years, though? Based on his track record: emphatically no. Based on the facts that A) he may have material written and pushed out of TWOW, and B) he's winding toward a known conclusion, so tying things off ought to be simpler from a "Meereenese Knot" perspective: maybe.

If AFFC/ADWD/TWOW account for four or five seasons, including all the show-only filler (e.g. extra material for Arya and the Hound, additional Theon wiener torture scenes), then GRRM's got a bit longer to work. If the rumors that the series will turn out to be eight books end up true, then it's all fucked.

How much will it suck when the show spoils the ending for us?

Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    When Season 5 begins airing in 2015, it will cover some of the AFFC/ADWD timeline. My opinion is that those two books contain enough material to stretch over three seasons. To be safe, though, let's say two books = two seasons.
    Hahahaha! No. No, not at all. As of the end of season 5, every major character and plotline has either reached the state it was in at the end of ADWD (Jon, Bran, Cersei, Sansa/Theon), slightly exceeded the end of ADWD (Dany, Arya, Tyrion/Jorah), or they clearly inhabit some sort of fan-fiction universe where they're dead when they shouldn't be (Stannis, Barristan), riding high when they shouldn't be (Roose, Ramsay), or are currently farting around doing nothing remotely similar to the books (Jaime and everyone in Dorne).

The only major plotline I can think of which hasn't been exhausted by HBO is the Greyjoys (edit: and Quentyn Martell, I suppose), and that whole fucking island might as well not exist as far as the show appears to be concerned.

I have no idea what comes next. Even if GRRM gets TWOW out in the next six months and it exceeds my expectations in terms of storymeat, the show will blow through it in one or two seasons at the most. So there's no chance of the books being finished before the show. Zero. The last two books have been such a slog for me and George both, I suspect that I'll have to resign myself to the HBO series being canonical.
    Last edited by Macheath; 06-23-2015 at 12:19 PM.

It's time for me to face the fact that Book Six will never be released, and the HBO series is going to be the definitive version of the story from here on out.

Next weekend I will be heading off to MystiCon, in Roanoke, Virginia, where I'll be a Guest of Honor. ...

Truth be told, I need a good con just about now. I am tired and I am stressed, and I am so so so sick of the toxic rancor that more and more seems to characterize the internet.
    GRRM is done, man.

A reclusive-introvert-author is now a TV celebrity and that's overwhelming. duh.

He needs to crawl back in his hole and focus on what makes him happy. ... and stay off the internet.

Nice.
    Attached Images Attached Images

For whatever reason, I still check GRRM's blog from time to time. In and amongst all the shit about politics and sports, there's been a couple new posts about actual writing of actual books in the past month (emphasis mine):

Quote Originally Posted by GRRM on Jun. 23, 2020
    I have to confess, after half a year of pandemic, quarantine, and social distancing, I am showing signs of cabin fever… half of which is quite literal in my case. Yes, I am in an actual cabin in the mountains. No, I have no fever. Yay! For the present at least, I am healthy… for an out-of-shape guy of 71, at least … and doing all I can to stay that way.

If nothing else, the enforced isolation has helped me write. I am spending long hours every day on THE WINDS OF WINTER, and making steady progress. I finished a new chapter yesterday, another one three days ago, another one the previous week. But no, this does not mean that the book will be finished tomorrow or published next week. It’s going to be a huge book, and I still have a long way to go. Please do not give any credence to any of the click-bait websites that like to parse every word of my posts as if they were papal encyclicals to divine hidden meanings.

I was heartbroken when CoNZealand was forced to go virtual due to the pandemic and I had to cancel my plans (exciting plans) for a long trip down to Wellington with Parris and my minions… but there is definitely a silver lining in that cloud. The last thing I need right now is a long interruption that might cost me all the momentum I have built up. I can always visit Wellington next year, when I hope that both Covid-19 and THE WINDS OF WINTER will be done.
    Dude is 71. Holy shit. Apparently he started writing ASOIAF in 1991. He was my age. While I can imagine starting a project this year, I can't imagine taking the rest of my life to finish it.

He says he "hopes" Winds will be done in 2021. Which means 2028.

Quote Originally Posted by GRRM on Jul. 19, 2020
    This writing stuff is hard.

Even so, it has been going well of late. Three more chapters completed this past week. And good progress on several more.

Still a long long way to go, though. Do not get too excited.
    He's still going. The crazy old man is still going. Go George Go. Live forever and save us from HBO some day in the distant future.