Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Weekend projects

Weekend projects

I know Mac and I both took on some big projects this weekend so I assume others did as well. Here's a nice thread to post what you got done when you were supposed to be relaxing.

My wife had a wedding anniversary for her great-aunt and uncle so I took the opportunity to skip that and spend some time wrapping up my guest bedroom project. I put all the rest of the door/window/baseboard trim up, finished out the closet, hung the doors, and put up some shelves to replace our 10 year old press-board bookcase. I think it turned out rather well.

Oooh, very nice. I need to put up some shelves sometime soon. I have a shitload of books sitting on a piece of 10-year-old pseudo-cardboard Target furniture.

This weekend, I decided to do something about the "garden" on my patio. Here's what it used to look like, approximately:

Note that you can't even see where the patio ends and the "garden" begins, thanks to the leaves. I move to San Diego, and the only tree in all of Mira Mesa that turns colors and dumps its leaves is directly over my tiny back yard. Thanks, California.

Anyway, see all the vegetable debris? See how wet it all is? Now imagine you turned your back for a week -- WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING, YOU'VE GOT TO KEEP YOUR EYE ON THAT SHIT -- but say you went on vacation or something. What's in there now? That's right, a massive jungle of eighteen-foot weeds. I constantly had to run back there with a machete, and then I had fifty thousand pounds of bullshit weed corpses to put in the garbage and haul to the curb. Well NO MORE.

I'm putting gravel on that shit. Normally I'd pay a professional, but in this case I just don't care. I didn't want anything beautiful, I just want something that isn't weeds. I know it looks like shit, yeah. The dirt is hard and full of rocks, like I'm going to spend weeks carefully leveling and landscaping it just so the bricks turn out straight. Pleeeease.

Besides, it basically looks perfect anyway:

STRAIGHT AS A GODDAMNED ARROW

Here's the rest of it:

I don't know what I'm going to do with those stepping stones. If I can get those eight to lay more or less flat (i.e. not wobbling) then I'll probably go buy some more and toss them down. Then whatever space is left, I'll fill with some sort of gravel. White? Black? Green? Hell if I know. Actually, green would be cool, it would be like "yeah, I wanted something green in the garden, so BAM."

I figure some of the bricks will settle, particularly if it ever rains again. More importantly, so far I've spent one weekend and like $100 on the project. It looks every cent of it, sure, but at least I'm not paying some professional $1200 to make it slightly nicer. I never have anybody on the patio anyway. I just want the weeds gone.

Well done gentlemen. I know which of you I'll call for home improvement advice/help.

Quote Originally Posted by nynnja View Post
    I know which of you I'll call for home improvement advice/help.
    I know you do. His name is Aaron

I bought more stepstones, some kind of expensive "Mexican Beach Pebble" gravel (i.e. larger rocks which have been left in a concrete mixer overnight), and a rubber mallet. After 90 seconds of haphazardly tamping bricks into place, the situation along one edge has improved (very) slightly. I'm hopeful that with some more 90-second chunks of work, the border can be made to look halfway decent before I fill it with stone.

Probably too late at this point, but the key to making it flat is a base of sand a few inches deep so the brinks have something to move and settle into when you tap them.

Yeah, I considered it, but the dirt itself is pretty dry and sandy so I decided to risk a lower-effort approach. We'll see how it turns out
    I'm really only aiming for adequate.

The Warlock (Die Hard)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbie View Post
    Probably too late at this point, but the key to making it flat is a base of sand a few inches deep so the brinks have something to move and settle into when you tap them.
    I would caution against sand. That can wash out in heavy rains (not an issue this year, I realize). When I did the Patio at my parent's house, I used a 6" base of 3/8" crushed limestone with a thin sand coating. Hasn't settled that much in 15 years.

You guys are forgetting that Mac lives in Sandy Eggo where the average total yearly rainfall is 1/8".

I was going to scrape the popcorn ceiling off in my family room. I had it tested. It came back with asbestos. Cha-ching.

Stupid 70's jerks who put it there in the first place!
    - Definitely