Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: Weekend projects

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbie View Post
    What do you have for tools? I have a full wood shop in my garage and a willingness to help you if you'd like. We can do fancy stuff like use my router on the edges and such too.

Bottom line: I like building stuff and don't have anything going on right now.
    I've got a miter saw, a circular saw and Kreg Jig (for pocket hole screws). It should be sufficient for my plans. I would make it now, but I want to stain and poly the top and paint the bottom and I don't want to fume my house up.

Check out the solid wood tops from IKEA. The rest of this all sounds good, even taking Drew up on his offer.

Are you going to glue and pocket screw everything?

Quote Originally Posted by nynnja View Post
    Check out the solid wood tops from IKEA. The rest of this all sounds good, even taking Drew up on his offer.
    Probably should

Are you going to glue and pocket screw everything?
    I was planning on it, but now that I think about it I may want to make sure I can maneuver a 2x4 foot desk down to the lower level and into the office before I do that.

Check out the solid wood tops from IKEA.
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50106773/

This one is the closest in size but I'd have to cut it down and I'd rather not throw away a third of the thing if I can help it.

That's what I have and the size is perfect. I keep buying bigger monitors so I'm glad it's the size it is. Then I just bought 4 of their legs, which look very nice, and one of these for cable management, and I can't seem to find the computer holder thingy I bought. I screwed a power strip under the desk and bought the hole saw and plug kit to run the cables through the top, and tada!

I used one of those for a long time, it's really nice. Given that the tabletop is the most important, visible, and highly used part of the desk... if your space can accommodate something prefabricated... wouldn't it make sense to pick out a top from someplace like IKEA, then nudge the rest of your design to fit? The alternative is, yeah, either cut up a prefab top, or construct your own (either of which are likely to be less attractive than just buying and using a GERTON).

My issue with the GERTON top is that my eventual plan is to have 3 desks side by side and that's 15 1/2 feet total if I don't have any gap between them. And that's pretty much the whole long wall of my office used up and I need to put other stuff( router, printers, etc) there.

Three GERTONs is 15.25 feet, so that's perfect!

You can put your routers and printers on top of these things, trust me there's plenty of real estate.

You could always cut them down later, might still be cheaper and easier than dealing with making a top, just a thought.

Definitely measure the space and path to get there. We recently moved a piano and I used cardboard boxes to simulate the volume and move it to be sure it would fit.

I think you guys may have convinced me to go with a GERTON. I think I might just buy legs too, the $4 legs look fine.