Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324

Thread: Weekend projects

That should be sufficient, always used to be. The code has changed to requiring the beam be bearing on the posts.
    How far apart are your posts? just grab a board long enough to span and have someone help hold one end then level it and make a mark. Go all around. Might not be mm perfect but on a deck it doesn't need to be.

The supports are 6' apart on the wall closest to the house, then 12 feet between that edge and the opposing edge, with stairs on the corner and 7.5' between the 3 other support.

I should also say I would go the route of having them bear on the posts. Better in the long run.

Yea, I think I'll do that. Maybe get wild and notch the straight runners too!

Bearing on top is definitely better. And like Sheil said not too hard. A straight board and a 4' level should get you close enough, or you could rent a laser level. Keep it simple and do it right and it will last a lot longer.

EDIT: Duh. I forgot, use a string level! Absolutely the easiest way, then use a straight level to mark the line around the post and cut it off.
    Last edited by nynnja; 04-05-2021 at 01:44 PM.