Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Weekend projects

Sorry for the google docs document, but this was the easiest way to lay out all the pictures. I'm thinking of doing something for storage in the garage. Please look a the doc and tell me what you think.

DOCUMEN!

Most people just throw a sheet of plywood up there and call it good. Looks like you're taking it a bit further so that's probably good.

You don't think that's going to put too much stress on the rafters?

I think this is where Nynny comes in and tells you something useful instead of me guessing.

Just replace your wooden rafters with metal beams, that's what I do in Poly Bridge

If you're really talking about light loads you'd probably be fine with plywood across the existing trusses (span at least 3 trusses with one sheet of plywood). It may start to sag over time. Plywood will hold up better than OSB, as OSB is terrible at spanning very far.

To make yourself feel more safe you could put some 2x4s in between the trusses, shoot for 2 ft spacing. See attached. Make them even with the top of the truss bottom chord, and offset them the width of the board so you can run screws in through the end. Use 3 1/2" screws, 2 at each end of board. If you make this grid then OSB will probably perform fine again assuming you're storing ornaments and garland. Don't store your two complete 32 volume sets of Encyclopedia Christmasica up there. But really it will be fine. Your trusses should be designed to support at least a 50 lb/sf snow load, which is far more than your collection of semi nude "Pin-up Santa" figurines.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks Nynny you're the best! Will any thickness plywood do?

Depending on what and how you stack stuff on top of it 1/4" will work but could sag over time, 1/2" would be fine, and anything larger is silly. Maybe 3/8" is a happy medium. If you use 1/4" and screw it down, it may sag but it won't fall down. A couple 1" to 1 1/2" long screws should be plenty, you're just holding it in place so it doesn't slide around.

Quote Originally Posted by brien View Post
    duuuuude, those are awesome. if you have a grey one size M, i'm a buyer. related: if you are able to print one on some nice paper card stock id take one of those, too!
    PM me your address. I still have a couple. Though I think I only bought medium red and small grey. Anyway I'm thinking I'll make a run of them and try to turn a profit so I'll make a medium grey. $15 sound fair?

Asking for opinions.... For simplicity I think I'll make red w/white ink and grey w/black ink. Thoughts?
    Last edited by nynnja; 09-29-2016 at 07:09 AM.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by nynnja
    Asking for opinions.... For simplicity I think I'll make red w/white ink and grey w/black ink. Thoughts?

Personally i prefer white on grey, but that could be me just being selfish - i already have a billion grey with black ink shirts because that's all anybody seems to want to print on grey. If you are really wanting to go for simplicity, white ink on red and white ink on grey will be easiest, because then you won't have to change out ink when you switch shirt color.

$15 sounds totally fair. i'll pm you some deets