Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Weekend projects

Did you tell the test company where it came from? I'd hate for you to have that stuck to the house, making it harder to sell down the line.

That said, if you don't have moral issue with it, you can still pull it down reasonably safely. Wrap the room up tightly, keep it wet so it doesn't dust, clean up well, and change your furnace filter when done.

Why did you have it tested? Ignorance is bliss.

Like Drew said, don't be an idiot and clean it up. Asbestos isn't like sarin gas, wear a respirator and all that other crap Drew said and make it go away. You might need to look into the logistics of disposal, but there's got to be somewhere to take it.

Or, just throw it away and pretend it was Styrofoam the whole time.

I would give that post a thumbs up if I could. Once again, ignorance is bliss.

Quote Originally Posted by nynnja View Post
    Why did you have it tested? Ignorance is bliss.
    Well, they say that if it's not disturbed then you're fine. Some work I did on my house a while back disturbed it. I was going to just scrape it off, but then it occurred to me that perhaps I should test it.

If I were living alone I'd probably take it down myself. But I don't want my screwing up and giving my daughter cancer in 20 years on my conscience.
    - Definitely

If you tightly bag the room, keep it wet while scraping it down, and immediately replace your furnace filter the moment you get all that crap back out of your house, the risk is so minimal it's not worth discussing. With two small children myself, I understand your concerns, but send the kid and mom away for the weekend, tear it all out Friday night/saturday morning, then clean the shit out of the place before they get back.

One thing I still need to investigate is whether my homeowners insurance will cover any of the expense. If they do I'd rather just fire the money gun at this problem.
    - Definitely

Removing asbestos-laced popcorn probably still falls under "maintenance," but who knows. That's the story I got when I asked about the black mold infested drywall I replaced six months ago.

So, yesterday evening, I picked up a few of the bricks that were the most uneven, and sprinkled a layer of paver base underneath to let them settle in a bit more solidly. Then I tossed what was left over the whole business, so that you wouldn't be able to see the black weed cloth quite so easily between the "beach" pebbles:

Then I started filling in with stone. You'd be amazed how far 400 pounds of rock doesn't get you in a scenario like this. 400 pounds of rock is basically not any rock at all. Still, I got probably 2/3 of the way done:

Today, I bought another six bags (300 pounds) and finished up, then rinsed it all off with the hose and declared victory. I'll probably buy another 100 pounds or so just to top it off in a few places where it's a bit thin:

It's beautiful!
    Last edited by nynnja; 07-30-2012 at 08:13 AM. Reason: edited for less dickery.