Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kids and consoles!

Kids and consoles!

Question I've been pondering .. how to introduce my kids to console gaming?

My boys are 5 and 3. They play games on my old iPhone and the iPad currently. Also my oldest has used a desktop computer at home and school.

I have every nintendo back to the NES (though the NES is currently inoperable) and the first gen x-box. My oldest has played the Wii a bit, but nothing else.

Which systems and games should I start with?

I'd say Super Mario Bros. if you had a working NES. It's a classic and it's where I started. You don't by chance have Super Mario Allstars?

I've been thinking about this myself and I'm worried that the ancient graphics and advanced difficulty will turn them off to old-school gaming. I definitely going to try though.

How do you introduce them? I'm not a parent, but I'd guess the best way is to plop down and start playing Super Mario Bros. When they see what you're doing, they'll be curious and want to join in.

Yeah, I guess just starting is probably a good call. I guess I was trying to strategize like Gnorlin. I'm hoping they like it and don't think "why would I do this when I can fling birds with my finger?"

Ok, I'll just get out the SNES and see where that gets us. I'm also going to try to diagnose my NES trouble. Last I checked the power seemed to be the issue, like the brick was fried or something.

The question you will be pondering soon is: "How do I get them to do anything else?" and "When was the last time they looked at a tree?"

I suggest you try to encourage them to play games that have some social aspects. The DS and newer consoles have wireless capabilities and allow kids to communicate with each other while playing. The biggest downside of console gaming imo is the isolation it fosters with kids.

We have pretty strict limits on screen time (ipad, tv, computer, etc.) already so I'm not too worried about it. It will probably be a thing we do just when I'm with them so I'm hoping to make it "fun dad time".

Quote Originally Posted by zlordsahan View Post
    The question you will be pondering soon is: "How do I get them to do anything else?" and "When was the last time they looked at a tree?"
    Also, this is an awesome quote from a guy with multiple level maxed, rep maxed, every quest complete WoW toons.

Mine started with the Wii 3 years ago (Sports and Sports resort) and have never looked back. I bought a bunch of EA sports games for the PS2, and my 7 y/o figures them out within an hour, and is unbeatable within a week. My 8 y/o plays Skylanders and Lego Batman and Lego Star Wars on the Wii. Zach also had leveled a Panda Hunter to 12 with minimal help, although I do go through his bags for space and gear ups.

I plugged in the Nintendo 64 and fired up Mario Kart. First, it looks terrible on an HDTV. Second, my oldest (5) can't get enough. He's terrible and literally spins his body while turning, but it's all he wants to do morning and night. I also hooked up the Super NES and played Mario World a little bit but they were less interested in that one. I may have to play it a little for him to really get interested. My three year old played a little and wants to play with his brother, but he just drives into the wall. I'm sure he'll pick it up soon enough.

Yeah, the old consoles only output approximately 17 pixels. It would look much better if you downloaded games on the Virtual Console of a Wii, or played them on an emulator with a PC hooked up via DVI/HDMI. Barring those options, use S-Video connections when possible (rather than RCA cables) if your TV even supports S-Video.