Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kids and consoles!

We had a blizzard yesterday so I set up a LAN party. 3 old PCs (which took hours of setup, I forgot how many windows updates there are and how hard it is to get a NIC driver on a computer that doesn't have one). Anyway, 3 PCs, cncnet.org, and a couple hours later I played original Command & Conquer with my boys. Perhaps a little overzealous in the first round I went with the strike early option and put my 8yo in tears as I decimated his base. The 10yo lasted longer but was crippled by me knocking out his harvesters. I don't want to let them win, but a little more instruction and guidance is probably needed.

That sounds awesome! I should dig out my C&C games and play that again. Nice break from always playing AoE2 to scratch that RTS itch.

I'm going to look into a newer version of the game. cncnet has several available. The original is fun, but I miss the keyboard shortcuts for recalling troops and setting up way points for units. The AI is better in later versions as well, in this version the harvesters get stuck when two are on a single lane road and they just sit there until you move one. But it was super fun anyway!

Maybe I'll try Starcraft one of these days.

Quote Originally Posted by nynnja View Post
    We had a blizzard yesterday so I set up a LAN party. 3 old PCs (which took hours of setup, I forgot how many windows updates there are and how hard it is to get a NIC driver on a computer that doesn't have one). Anyway, 3 PCs, cncnet.org, and a couple hours later I played original Command & Conquer with my boys. Perhaps a little overzealous in the first round I went with the strike early option and put my 8yo in tears as I decimated his base. The 10yo lasted longer but was crippled by me knocking out his harvesters. I don't want to let them win, but a little more instruction and guidance is probably needed.
    That's outstanding. I doubt I could get C&C running on one computer, and you went and did it on three, and networked them together?

Thanks, but once I got the PCs running it really wasn't too bad. cncnet.org is a fan based project that makes the whole thing pretty slick. They have a whole game lobby setup for either internet or LAN, you just pick the game version, create or join a game, and go.

Most of my trouble was with computers that hadn't been turned on in over a year. You guys could probably do this on a Sunday night. You can put a password on the games in the lobby so you can control who's joining.

Why don't you join us for it?

It always seems like I'm busy or sleeping when you play, but I'll try to look ahead and see what I can do. I'm not sure what that would be like from a spectators point of view as they'd only see one base being built and the first 10 minutes is just frantically harvesting and building minigunners. Then again, I don't understand why people watch you guys play any other game. :shrug:

In that type of situation, we typically would stream my perspective on Twitch and Mac on Youtube. Then people can hop back and forth.

I don't get it either, but my kids watch the hell out of gameplay stuff and I have 20-somethings I work with who watch Twitch more than anything on TV. It's a weird time to be alive.