Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kids and consoles!

Nope, it's just going to suck. Although now that you mention it I could use the Wii and VC, then plug in the Game Cube controllers which might fit their hands better. Good call.

One week, just one week, and the five year old scored gold in 50cc on Mario Kart. I don't think we let him play much more than 10 hours total. I'll have to reset the game so he can win all the extra levels now.

Won't be long and he'll be sniping me with pistol head-shots in Halo. That will be a proud dad moment.

I would probably ground my hypothetical kid if he kept pulling that crap in Halo.
    Oooh, shiny!

Check out my gaming channel on Youtube! Streams, videos, and more right here!

My kids are thoroughly into console gaming now. No problem there. They've got their eyes on new games though that are beyond my antiquated Xbox & Wii (note the lack of suffix for either). If we're looking toward a Christmas console upgrade where should I be looking? I've always been a Nintendo fan, but I've been happy with Xbox too. Are new consoles on the horizon? Sounds like some of the Wiimotes and balance board thingies work with the WiiU which would be nice.

All I can add to this conversation is that all your Wii nonsense will work with the WiiU. I wouldn't advocate for any particular system though. I play on my computer these days, though my kids do like the WiiU.

I'm sure all three companies are working on their next consoles, but nothing's been officially announced yet. A few snippets have come out about the Nintendo "NX" or whatever its code name is, but we're still a good year off from even knowing its name. In the mean time, I love the Wii U and all children should be so lucky as to have one. Are they squids now or kids now? We'll never know.

Cool, that's the advice I was looking for. We'll probably end up with a WiiU, unless I decide I want an Xbox more for me. But given my game play time that's unlikely.

My friend put their xbox 360 up for sale on FB for $100. I think that includes some games and controllers and such. My original xbox doesn't quite work anymore and my kid has been bugging me about it. Is it worth $100 to buy an old xbox 360?

This is more rhetorical than anything but I'm sure considering it. Looks like it will play the OG xbox games.

A used 360 will cost you $80 at Gamestop. Refurbished (+2 games) is $80 too, there's $10 off that bundle right now apparently.

Point is, it depends on the games he's offering. If it's 10 copies of Battlefield 3, then no it's not much of a deal. It also depends a bit on which 360 he's selling. There were a bunch of different models over that console's lifespan (size of hard drive, etc).

But the 360 is a good system, and it does play most OG games.

So it's not an exceptional deal. I'll pass, and see if it becomes important later on.

I'd like to play Halo with my kids but I'm not sure they're old enough yet.