Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How To Keep Your Computer Working -or- Useful (Free) Applications

Credit card fraud and somebody trying to steal your PoE account are almost certainly independent, unrelated events. You're talking about a keylogger, if you think they're the same problem, and since the credit card issue happened in SoCal (not Japan) there would have to be a network of people sharing your info around the internet. Give Malwarebytes a try. If it doesn't find anything either, you probably just need a better password. And don't use the same one everywhere, for Christ's sake.

That said, if your computer's giving you any troubles or you still have lingering doubts that a "wipe" would assuage, cleaning your computer off and reinstalling everything from Windows up is always a nice, cleansing experience. Particularly when you do it at will instead of when it's forced on you, and you can avoid losing any data.

Edit: Also, uninstall AVG and go get Microsoft Security Essentials.

My current password scheme, incidentally, is to use the same password everywhere... with a short suffix that's specific to the site I'm currently on. For example, if my password for Reebosak is "fuckm3inthe4ssreeb" then my password for Bank of America is probably "fuckm3inthe4ssbofa." Easy for me to remember, hard to crack, and unless you know my base password and the scheme and each site-specific suffix, good luck getting any of my shit.

And I'm now running on a computer using 29 GB's rather than 500+ as it was previously. I used the set-up tips found in the first post and everything went pretty smoothly. Now I'm trying to get my games back. Path of Exile is proving to be difficult so far, but everything else is working fine.

I also use ccleaner to wipe out any remnants after I run both Malwarebytes and MSE.
    Oooh, shiny!

Check out my gaming channel on Youtube! Streams, videos, and more right here!

This particular app is a little narrow in focus (probably applies to programmers only), but I've been using Putty for so long I've forgotten there are other options. Someone just introduced me to the free app MobaXterm by Mobatek, and I'm super excited to start using it.

From this thread on reddit, I think I'm going to start using TeraCopy on my PC. I'm sure not many of you copy large amounts of data around regularly, but I do... and even if I didn't, I might grab it anyway, just to replace the default Windows copy dialog that doesn't seem to be able to estimate time remaining.

I've been using that for years at home. Nice software. Thanks for the reminder I should install it at work.

YouTube has been slow as hell for me the last month or two, so I tried this "how to stop youtube sucking" firewall setup. I dunno if it's really working or not, but the rule hasn't hurt anything yet, so I'm just bookmarking this here to remind myself I have a firewall rule in place.

As an aside, this looks basically like iptables. Windows surprises me every time I find something useful hidden under the hood. If I were a Windows guru, something tells me my experiences with the OS would be smooth as buttah.

Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    This particular app is a little narrow in focus (probably applies to programmers only), but I've been using Putty for so long I've forgotten there are other options. Someone just introduced me to the free app MobaXterm by Mobatek, and I'm super excited to start using it.
    The bloom was off the rose here after a day or two. I went back to Putty. I may just be too entrenched in my ways.