Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Coming to theaters near you

Man, it's been a rocky summer for blockbusters. Man of Steel did fine, World War Z is doing okay, but considering their budgets, Pacific Rim, White House Down, and Lone Ranger all bombed pretty hard, and wow, R.I.P.D. bombed HARD.

WHASSUP, AMERICUH?

Edit: I guess the 10% on RT.com might explain R.I.P.D. bombing. While we're at it, the numbers on Red 2 don't look good, but I loved the first one so I'll probably see it; 40% is within my margin for error with the critics. And Wolverine scored surprisingly high, so while I had planned to skip that one, I may actually want to see it now. Meanwhile, The Conjuring crushed it at the box office this weekend and has an 85% on RT, so I want to see that too even though I've never heard of it.
    Last edited by Macheath; 07-23-2013 at 10:04 PM.

I had never seen a commercial or anything for R.I.P.D. and your post is the first I've heard thing one about it.

I've seen more movies than normal this summer, but not a one of the movies you listed. I've seen Iron Man 3, Star Trek, Despicable Me 2, This is the End, and probably one more that I can't think of. I did like everything I saw though.

Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    ...and "47 Ronin" starring Keanu Reeves. Sure!

I haven't been to the theater in 2013. I may go to the Traverse City Film Festival next week to see Cockneys vs. Zombies, but it's at midnight, and I need my sleep.

I couldn't find anyone to go to Evil Dead with me in April. The only movie that will get me out this year will be Human Centipede 3, but I doubt that will make the theaters here.

Ender's Game Trailer 2.

I really hope this movie doesn't suck.

I'm not sure that I like that they basically gave away the book's twist ending in the trailer for the movie. I felt like that was a very cool moment and it would be a shame if they took it out.

Harrison Ford doesn't do a real good job with bad dialogue. "There's greatness in you, Ender." Terrible line. "You will be the one to save mankind." Also terrible. Jesus Christ.

Trailer's questionable, yeah... you could look at that and assume all the big battle scenes are some kind of simulation, but it skirts awfully close to spoiler territory. Oh well, if they promoted the movie with a bunch of jumpsuits floating through an anti-gravity chamber playing laser tag, it would look like Spy Kids 5 and nobody would see it.

I have never read the book, but I started last night. I'm 20% through it and should finish in a couple days at this rate. Thanks for the heads up on the trailer. I'll wait to watch it.

Be sure to read Speaker for the Dead after you're done. Don't let it suck you and and make you read Xenocide and Children of the Mind, not worth the time in my opinion.

Speaker is a very different book, but also really good. And yeah, books 3-4 are a step back, as is the rest of Card's stuff. You'll be tempted to read Ender's Shadow, Shadow of the Hegemon, Shadow Puppets, Shadow of the Giant, Shadows in Flight, One Shadow Two Shadow Red Shadow Blue Shadow, the Shadow Tree, and Shadows Fighting Robot Shadows, but don't get taken in. Ask Gnorlin or me for book recommendations if you're hard up for something to read.