Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fire Emblem

Got a kick out of this guy's assessment of Frederick, though speaking as a veteran of Fire Emblem games, it's obvious he has no idea how to play.

This summer, Nintendo's offering $30 eShop credit for registering Fire Emblem: Awakening and Shin Megami Tensei IV. Lucky for me, halfway down the page it states that if you've already registered FE:A, you can just register the other game by August 31 to finish the deal. I've never played a Shin Megami Tensei game in my life, but if they're gonna give it to me practically for free, I might as well start now?

Edit: Okay, not exactly "free." SMT4 is being released on July 16, and will cost a whopping fifty bucks. Hmmmm. That's really expensive for a 3DS game. Maybe I'll wait for some reviews and see whether it's TOTALLYAMAZING.

Edit Again: Oh, I see, it's a limited edition first printing with a bunch of extra crap. So, buy it before August 31 (including extra crap) for $20, or wait for the mass market edition (which will probably come after August 31) and pay $40 or whatever. Seems like a pretty clear choice, if you're a Shin Megami Tensei fan. Me, though, I dunno.
    Last edited by Macheath; 07-09-2013 at 03:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    I'm playing Awakening on Hard/Classic mode.
    Beat it a week or two ago, and Jesus Christ, it gets to be a grind at the end. I didn't have the energy to tackle any of the ~15 side missions waiting for me, so I just dove straight for the end of the main story. And wow, did I get pummeled. I abandoned my "no character left behind" values and shifted to an "ends justify the means" philosophy instead, at which point I began sloughing off weaker characters left and right. I think, at one point in the penultimate mission, I actually lost four characters in a single turn. In the final mission, I sacrificed everyone to drill through the enemy's front lines at top speed, then threw my most powerful unit at the final boss, hoping for a lucky roll. Had to attempt it half a dozen times.

If I were ever to play this game again, I'd definitely do it either on Hard/Casual (defeated characters flee instead of dying, and are accessible again after the mission) or even just downgrade to Normal difficulty. Hard/Classic was witheringly difficult. I don't even want to think about "Insanity" or whatever comes next.

All that said, it was gorgeous and well designed. The writing didn't resonate with me quite like the GC/Wii games did when they hooked me in, but the gameplay was the same as ever. Better, actually, with the "Pair Up" mechanic. You can level up your units in tandem, and they form a sort of single super-unit that kicks more ass. Gives you half a chance against the amped-up enemies in higher difficulties.

The Banner Saga looks like an indie version of Fire Emblem, with beautiful high-res, hand-drawn art and animation. And Norse mythology flavored, to boot. And it's on Steam. Too bad it's 25 bucks. I'll wait for it to go on sale, then I'm on it like shit on flies.

Oh god. Nothing eats my soul like news of a new Fire Emblem game.

Can it top Awakening? That's the real question. That game was phenomenal (and it gave the option of a non-permadeath mode!)
    Oooh, shiny!

Check out my gaming channel on Youtube! Streams, videos, and more right here!

I saw another video on the new sequel and what I can gather is that there are two sides that are at war and you get to choose who to fight for. That means every major character that's on the opposite side of your choice is an enemy. I would find this difficult to play through if I find all characters engaging. Or I can just make two game files. Once I find it I'll link it in this post.

I found it!

Last edited by Kylora; 04-24-2015 at 11:18 AM.

Interesting way of doing it. Think they will add the no permadeath mode again?
    Oooh, shiny!

Check out my gaming channel on Youtube! Streams, videos, and more right here!

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrin View Post
    Interesting way of doing it. Think they will add the no permadeath mode again?
    I wouldn't doubt it. I also expect them to keep the same class system. The new class system in Awakening is what really disappointed me; It made it so you can have more than one Pegasus knight and that meant the removal of the Triangle Attack. That sucked...

I lafffff