Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arrested Development

Arrested Development

We don't have an Arrested Development thread. I'm here to remedy that. We'll need one, as the new Netflix-produced season starts to gear up.

Who here has at least one piece of Arrested Development merchandise in his or her house?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm watching season four on Netflix!

The format's a little weird. Lots of flashbacks. Different cast members sort of "feature" in each episode. Gob and Buster made 30 second token appearances in episode one, and Michael barely showed up at all in episode two. Episode three is about Lindsay, and she looks weird, not even like herself. Wondering if Portia de Rossi had some kind of plastic surgery...? As if she needed it.

Edit: I see I am not alone. I suspect it's a subtle joke, though. A ton of makeup to make it look like Lindsay had some work done.

Edit: This Lindsay episode is perhaps my favorite so far, even with the spooky face. The scene with Lindsay and Tobias screaming at each other across their huge, empty house was hysterical.
    Last edited by Macheath; 06-02-2013 at 12:51 AM.

My wife and I were talking last night and neither of us have ever watched the whole series before. We've both seen a few episodes and thought they were funny, but when it was on, we apparently were just watching something else. With all the hub-bub about the new season, and after seeing how good House of Cards is, we decided we should really get caught up. We've now watched 9 or 10 episodes from season one since just last night and we're both enjoying it enough to continue. It's pretty fun seeing the full context for memes I've seen for years.

You pretty much have to watch from the beginning, or you won't get 75% of the jokes in later episodes.

Okay, episode 4.05 was about Tobias, and it was brilliant. The structure of the fourth season is coming into view now.

Edit: Bahahah, watching Gob try to open his Mike's Hard Lemonade and bust off a chunk of countertop reminds me of my favorite running gag: the incredibly shoddy model homes.

Edit: I am now laughing my tooter off at Gob's attempt to erase his shame with roofies. Gob and Tobias were always my favorites.

Edit: And Rebel Alley's repeated PSAs are starting to get fucking hilarious. New running gag! I wasn't sold on season four until the last few episodes, but now it really does feel like old times. They're weaving quite the 15-episode tapestry here.

Edit: "Who keeps numbing these desert animals?!" Bahahahah, I can already see where that's going. Or it might just be an inside joke that doesn't lead anywhere else! Which is classic Arrested Development.
    Last edited by Macheath; 06-02-2013 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    Episode three is about Lindsay, and she looks weird, not even like herself. Wondering if Portia de Rossi had some kind of plastic surgery...? As if she needed it.

Edit: I see I am not alone. I suspect it's a subtle joke, though. A ton of makeup to make it look like Lindsay had some work done.
    You know, after that one episode, Lindsay looks more like just an older version of Lindsay, which is great. Either I'm getting used to her new face, or they toned down the makeup after they'd gotten the (perhaps too subtle) plastic surgery joke in.

Or else it's just this smile that makes her look like herself. I honestly can't tell. She's such a cutie, though.

Goddddddddd christ. The writing!

LUCILLE 2: I used to wear that with The Captain, and I was--

LINDSAY: Tennille?

LUCILLE 2: And not make eye contact, yes!

Lindsay's best fake smile.

Jesus, I'm laughing my tooter off again. I need to stop posting and just watch, or I'll never get through this fucking show.

LUCILLE: Hello, Anus Tart.

NARRATOR: ...and she never even saw the license plate.

I can imagine some of these quotes make fairly little sense out of context.