Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 43

Thread: NES/SNES/Genesis/N64

  1. #1
    Darth Small Macheath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    12,883

    NES/SNES/Genesis/N64

    I have a bunch of old games, and the save batteries have actually started dying (in the oldest ones especially).

    Interestingly, I find this wipes out any emotional attachment I may have had to the physical cartridge. After all, the save game I worked so hard on 20 years ago doesn't exist anymore.

    So what does that mean? Well, in some cases, it may mean I'm finally free and clear of the mental block against selling my old stuff, and perhaps that I will begin to dig my way out of the pack rat phase of my life. I don't necessarily want to sell everything yet, because damn, I have a hot little RPG collection. But can some stuff go? Oh yes. Definitely.

    But whether I sell them or keep them, I want to make sure they're functional. This guy's got a pretty nice video up on a good battery mod. I haven't soldered anything since I was a teenager, though, so if I go ahead and do this, I'll need to practice on some shitty games before I fuck up my Chrono Trigger cartridge.



    Then again, the safer (and cheaper) route is probably just to tape new batteries in after removing the dead ones.

    Here's a place to get batteries! Unless I go to eBay and buy like 20+ of them all at once, this is a pretty cool site.

  2. #2
    Darth Small Macheath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    12,883
    This is pretty sweet:

    http://nintendoeverything.com/ninten...t-in-november/

    Coming out on 11/11/2016. It's sixty bucks for a little mini-NES with thirty games on it ($2 per game). It has an HDMI port. I'm probably gonna buy one. And then one day later somebody will figure out how to hack it and put more ROMs on it, and it will be a fully functional NES library.

    Edit: There's also the Atari Flashback, which appears to be a similar system (with 100 games for $80 -- RCA instead of HDMI though).
    Last edited by Macheath; 07-14-2016 at 02:07 PM.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    3,206
    I'll be buying that.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,188
    It looks like the ports are too small for my f'king awesome NES controller that I still have. Also, it says preloaded with games, but doesn't list them all. Nobunaga's Ambition? Anyone?

    I fucked up and didn't buy the new one during the summer sale, so I'm waiting until it goes for 75% off again.

    Speaking of... it is summer and I have kids, I should totally try to get my actual NES going so I can show them some old-school awesome. I only worry that I'll be blowing on cartridges all day...

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    107
    I got my old nes out and bought a nifty screwdriver to take the cartridges apart. You use some brass polish with q-tips, and you don't even have to blow on them anymore. I've begun collecting a few games I couldn't afford when I was younger . Finding a good Super Nintendo is next on my list, I was always jealous of my friends that had one!

  6. #6
    Darth Small Macheath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    12,883
    Quote Originally Posted by nynnja View Post
    I'll be buying that.


    Quote Originally Posted by Threnn View Post
    It looks like the ports are too small for my f'king awesome NES controller that I still have.
    Yup and the HDMI port is the wrong size for your awesome coax-connected CRT with dials and shit. Get with the tiiiiiimes, oooold maaaaan.

    Quote Originally Posted by Threnn View Post
    Also, it says preloaded with games, but doesn't list them all. Nobunaga's Ambition? Anyone?
    It lists all 30 games that are preloaded. It's not literally the entire NES library (until someone hacks it). Nobunaga's Ambition isn't exactly a megahit, but would probably be in the top 100. I mean, this collection has some far more conspicuous holes. It doesn't include Contra. Contra! It does have Super C, weirdly enough. Must be a licensing issue.

  7. #7
    Darth Small Macheath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    12,883
    Awww man. I miss you Samus.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,188
    Well I fired up my NES a couple days ago when it was just my son and I home. We played a little Nobunaga's Ambition, a little Tyson's punch-out, and a little spyhunter. Then he wanted to play Terraria so we put everything away. I joked that playing all this 8-bit stuff and now we're going to play another pixel game. I like Terraria.

    Reflecting on things, he didn't seem as into Nobunaga's Ambition as I was when I was younger, but apparently it wasn't until I was 16 that the game even came out. So it is natural that a 10 yo might not be as into number crunching, long game strategy, etc. Spyhunter was funny and generation bridging because Teen Titans Go has an episode where Cyborg is playing "Pie"hunter. So there was that. Maybe in a few years he'd be more into such things. It is hard to tell because new tech keeps making our old tech look like shit.

    Anyway... Yesterday I decided I wanted to play more Nobu. I have games like EU4 and Civ5 on the PC and those are okay for what they are, but they are sometimes more bells and whistles than what I want. Plus that music is just stuck in my head.

    So I fire up the NES and as I'm working on my NES advantage to try to get it to work my son comes up and asks "Are we gonna play some more Nobunaga's Ambition?"

    "Yeah. I felt like- you want to play too?"

    "Sure. I kind of like it now..." *conversation fades out because nothing else needs to be said*

    We played it til it was time to go to bed.

    Also my NES Advantage has lights that come on but none of the controls work. I think someone spilled shit on it when it was at my moms/sisters house years ago.

  9. #9
    Darth Small Macheath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    12,883
    I had an Amazon gift certificate burning a hole in my wallet, and I'm traveling overseas in September, and the Sony PS Vita was recently hacked which should allow emulators and such... but then I decided rather than spend ~$115 on a Vita that I'd still need to mod myself, I'll just look into tablets. Turns out, Windows tablets are so phenomenally unpopular, they're being pretty heavily subsidized right now.

    I can get a refurbished HP Stream 7 (quad-core 1.8 GHz CPU, 1 GB RAM, 32 GB internal flash storage, desktop version of Windows 8.1) for $70 and an iPega Bluetooth controller that clamps around smart devices (up to 10") for $25, then install all the emulators and ROMs I could possibly want! And I don't even need to use crazy Android emulators, I can just use the heavily-supported and broadly compatible Windows emulators I already know and love!

    So hell yeah I did that, and I'm gonna take it (and my Kindle) on this ten-hour flight. I will play Star Tropics and EarthBound and Langrisser until I fall asleep.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    I had an Amazon gift certificate burning a hole in my wallet, and I'm traveling overseas in September, and the Sony PS Vita was recently hacked which should allow emulators and such... but then I decided rather than spend ~$115 on a Vita that I'd still need to mod myself, I'll just look into tablets. Turns out, Windows tablets are so phenomenally unpopular, they're being pretty heavily subsidized right now.

    I can get a refurbished HP Stream 7 (quad-core 1.8 GHz CPU, 1 GB RAM, 32 GB internal flash storage, desktop version of Windows 8.1) for $70 and an iPega Bluetooth controller that clamps around smart devices (up to 10") for $25, then install all the emulators and ROMs I could possibly want! And I don't even need to use crazy Android emulators, I can just use the heavily-supported and broadly compatible Windows emulators I already know and love!

    So hell yeah I did that, and I'm gonna take it (and my Kindle) on this ten-hour flight. I will play Star Tropics and EarthBound and Langrisser until I fall asleep.
    Wow that is pretty cool!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •