Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: NES/SNES/Genesis/N64

Well, I just ordered a Raspberry Pi Zero W so that will be fun. Since I have no accessories I ordered the starter kit from Canakit. I probably won't turn it into an NES emulator, but still will be fun to play.

Wow, that is one cheap little computer. I wonder if the Zero is capable of running emulators? The stats aren't really comparable to the Pi 3 Model B, so probably not SNES/N64, but may well be sufficient for NES.

If you were wondering -- 1 GHz single-core CPU / 512 MB RAM vs. 1.2 GHz quad-core CPU / 1 GB RAM

I'm positive there's plenty to do with the Zero, though.

Yeah, I wasn't thinking emulator, I actually just want a box that will browse the interwebs in my workshop so I can look up plans, how-to-videos, play music, etc. I've got a tired old laptop from 2004 doing that task now and it's pitifully slow to the point it's non-functional.

Plus now I have one so I can use it if a silly project idea pops in my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    They'll make more. But I'm stopping at some Fry's and Target(s) on my way home tonight.
    Well, apparently they aren't making more and they're all gone. I heard Best Buy had some available today so I just went to my local store only to find out they had all been "ticketed" which means crazy people lined up in the middle of the night and at 7am today they were given tickets for the available units. Oh well, I certainly don't care enough to pay over retail, but now I'm more inclined to put together an emulator and just steal Nintendo's property.

Yeah. I remember hearing they were Limited Edition, then someone else said no they're not, and then Nintendo said "well we're not making anymore." I dunno what sources are legit, but NTDOY probably qualifies.

The NES Classic was just a nifty little toy. If you really want to play the library and you're in the mood for a fun project, RetroPie and a nice USB controller really seems like the way to go.

Guessing there will be a SNES Classic coming soon with all the same fan frenzy and supply problems. Then maybe they'll fix up the Switch virtual console to be the best yet, and we'll all have a good laugh over how desperate we were for those specific chunks of plastic.

It's probably coming, there's enough speculation at least. Several people offer the top 30 they want to see. Many are speculating a price increase as well to quell demand and moderate resales. And that's all great, but maybe I'm too lazy or stubborn to fight to get a console anymore. If a supplier can't figure out how to let me buy their product I don't care enough to find a way to buy it.

Retropi is definitely on my list of projects I hope to get to someday.

27. Secret of Mana
    28. Final Fantasy VI
    29. Chrono Trigger
    Uhhhh, yeeeaaaahhh. Bad news, internet.

I also don't see games like Starfox and Yoshi's Island happening, since they relied pretty heavily on the Super FX chip. Those games are a nightmare to emulate. But the rest of the list looks good to me. I have a lot of personal favorites that might not make a list of "top 30 SNES games" but that was true of the NES Classic selection as well.

My kid thinks he wants to save his money for a Nintendo 2ds or 3ds. Any guidance on which way to point him? This kid is not starved for screen options, but his friend has one so it's a thing now.

I know nothing of these devices, please help.

It's complicated.

1. The Nintendo DS line (2004-2010): Various folding/clamshell devices with two screens (the bottom screen is also a touch pad).
    2. Nintendo 3DS (2011): It's a DS but this time the top screen has a neat 3D effect you don't need glasses to see, OMG!
    3. Nintendo 3DS XL (2012): It's a 3DS but this time it's bigger! (This is the one I have.)
    4. Nintendo 2DS (2013): It's a 3DS but without 3D and it doesn't fold in half... less tech and moving parts, so it's cheaper!
    5. New Nintendo 3DS / 3DS XL (2015): It's a 3DS (and XL) but with a hardware refresh and improved 3D, so it's better!
    6. New Nintendo 2DS XL (2017): Just announced, coming this summer, it's the best hardware yet, still has a clamshell folding design, but no 3D effect.

Your kid almost definitely wants the "New 2DS XL." NTDOY finally determined that most people don't really care about the 3D stuff, they just want the games. So it's the best, newest hardware with the least effective feature stripped off.

EDIT: That said, the "New 3DS" is the best hardware with 3D on it, and the original "2DS" is the cheapest option (it's $80 brand new). You'll have to find out what he's after.
    Last edited by Macheath; 05-13-2017 at 09:42 AM.

Thanks! He got the $80 2DS and he's very happy. It's the same one his friend has so that's all that mattered.