Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: NES/SNES/Genesis/N64

Holy shit, your kid saved up $80 in a day?

He's got a good job.

(or we realized he had money left over from our Disney trip, which he immediately spent.)

Actually it was kinda funny. He got the 2DS and Pokemon Y, which came to $125.98 ... and he had $126. He expressed some regret about spend ALL his money, and I told him to hold on to that feeling for the next time he wants to make a big purchase.

On the bright side there is no better way to spend one's money

TAKE MY MONEY!!!

• Contra III: The Alien Wars
    • Donkey Kong Country
    • EarthBound
    • Final Fantasy III
    • F-ZERO
    • Kirby Super Star
    • Kirby’s Dream Course
    • The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
    • Mega Man X
    • Secret of Mana!!!!
    • Star Fox
    • Star Fox 2
    • Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting
    • Super Castlevania IV
    • Super Ghouls ’n Ghosts
    • Super Mario Kart
    • Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
    • Super Mario World
    • Super Metroid
    • Super Punch-Out!!
    • Yoshi’s Island

When the dumb NES version came out I figured I'd get one eventually so I didn't try too hard. I will be all over this one so I don't miss out again. I'm still baffled by Nintendo killing the NES version, which only allowed the after-sale market to make a killing on an impossible to get product.

That game list is almost unbelievable. FF3 and Secret of Mana still make money for Square to this day. StarFox 2 was never even released. Can't wait to never see one of these on a shelf!

Nintendo didn't kill the NES Classic. It was always limited edition. SNES will be too.

Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    Nintendo didn't kill the NES Classic. It was always limited edition. SNES will be too.
    They could have chosen to make more. Killers!

Which is excellent, however, I'm afraid of the "never-released" Star Fox 2. And increased awareness, this is going to sell out.

Has anybody here used an RCA to HDMI converter to plug old systems into a modern TV? Debating getting one so the kids can play old systems.

Nope, I've generally just used a cheapo RCA/composite switch to collect all my little dudes, and plugged the output from that directly into my receiver or TV. I guess if you've got a more modern TV than me, you might not have RCA/composite inputs available at all.

Knowing that converters exist interests me. I might pick something up for a "legacy gamez" setup some day. You'd probably need something with upscaling to prevent the 240p signal from looking like complete ass on a modern TV, but since you -- like me -- are unlikely to purchase the ubiquitous Micomsoft XRGB Mini Framemeister, here are some options on Monoprice instead:

RGB/component to HDMI = $38
    RCA/composite (or S-Video) to HDMI = $49
    Damn near anything to HDMI = $94
    Damn near anything to HDMI, with upscaler = $135

You might be better off buying some old TV with RCA inputs, though. Give your kids the full experience, CRT brain-rot and all. Old graphics look better when they're a little blurry and have scanlines.