Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: NES/SNES/Genesis/N64

Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    Really though, Raspberry Pi 3 + RetroPie looks like a fun weekend project.
    I mean sure you can get a form-fitting plastic case on Amazon for $7, but why do that when you can get a fancy red CNC milled anodized aluminum case from Etsy for $50.
    Huh, there are shitloads of Raspberry Pi 3 cases on Etsy, but so far this one's my favorite price-to-coolness-ratio option.
    Well, Amazon finally hooked me. I've been spending a ton of money on Prime stuff, and they've been waving an "Amazon Prime Rewards Card" with a $70 signup bonus in front of me, and I finally pulled the trigger. And spent my $70 bonus on a Raspberry Pi 3 (with accessories). I'll be assembling the son of a bitch this weekend.

I went with this case. According to the comments, with some copper foil + thermal paste + a bit of sandpaper (I have all of these things) I can turn the whole thing into a giant heatsink and avoid having to install any fans!

Wish me luck.

You'll have to let me know how this goes. I really wanted a classic NES and the Super when that comes out, but if I can not have to stalk stores to get one and just build this over the weekend, it's pretty tempting.

Okay, all set... firstly, here's what I got:

If you don't have a card reader of some sort, you'll need something to help with that.

You might also want a USB controller. I happened to have a Logitech F310 lying around.

Step 1: lay it all out and admire the tiny board.

1-bits.jpg 2-wholepie.jpg 3-wholepie.jpg

Step 2: try to figure out which pokey parts of the case need to be sanded for heatsink purposes, and attempt to make that happen. Clean out the case afterward.

4-case.jpg 7-sand.jpg

Step 3: snip off some pieces of copper (1 mm thick as recommended by a reviewer on Amazon). Realize immediately that wire cutters aren't going to get the job done, and drive to Home Depot to buy tin snips instead.

5-wirecutters.jpg 6-snips.jpg

Step 4: glue the bits of copper to the hot parts of the board with thermal paste. Realize immediately that you won't be able to shut the case around this sandwiched monstrosity of 1-mm-thick metal scraps without cracking something important. Peel the copper back off and just live with thermal paste alone. Grumble about wasted trip to Home Depot, but who doesn't need tin snips once in a while? Assemble.

8-copper.jpg 9-assembled.jpg

Step 5: before you power anything up, connect the micro SD card to your computer. Format it (FAT32), then download and install the RetroPie ISO.

Step 6: connect a USB keyboard, a USB controller, and a monitor/TV, and start the thing up. Configure your controller, then connect to your WiFi. Then... if you're comfortable with the command line, you may want to do some configuration at this point. Hit "F4" on the keyboard to get to a bash prompt, and start typing. Here's what I did:

First, get your IP address (type "ifconfig" and if you're behind a router, just look for an internal IP, something starting with 192.168.x.x). This will come in handy later.

Next... configure the keyboard for en-US layout. RetroPie uses en-UK by default, which makes typing bash commands hard.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/v...hp?f=91&t=9136

Then, if you type "date" and don't see the correct date, you may need to fix ntpd (I did). This is required for the scraper tool I used later, so you can skip it if you don't care.

sudo apt-get install ntpdate
    sudo service ntp stop
    sudo ntpdate -s time.nist.gov
    sudo service ntp start

Now just "sudo reboot" and remember you can get back to the beautiful command line any time by hitting F4, and subsequently restart the RetroPie GUI with the command "emulationstation."
    Step 7: get some game ROMs. Probably the easiest way to transfer them onto the system (now that the micro SD card is installed) is with something like WinSCP. I connected to the IP from above, with the username "pi" and the password "raspberry," and copied stuff over WiFi. Games go into the directory /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/<nes,snes,etc.>

The ROMs may all need to be unzipped. I did that on the command line:

cd ~/RetroPie/roms/nes
    unzip "*.zip"
    rm -f *.zip

cd ~/RetroPie/roms/snes
    Step 8: now you're basically done, so this is optional. If you want thumbnails and descriptions for your game library, you can use the "scraper" tool built into RetroPie (hit "start" on the controller for the main menu, go to "scraper"). It's slow and inaccurate, though. So I'm using this other scraper somebody wrote, from the command line (again):

Check out this page: https://github.com/sselph/scraper/releases

Pick the newest release, then on the command line...

wget https://github.com/sselph/scraper/releases/download/v1.4.4/scraper_rpi2.zip
    sudo unzip scraper_rpi2.zip scraper -d /usr/local/bin/
    rm scraper_rpi2.zip

cd ~/RetroPie/roms/nes
    scraper -thumb_only ["-append" to skip already processed, "-workers N" to use multiple workers]
    Run that last command in each console's subdirectory. This part still takes a long time, so far it seems like each game takes ~1 minute to finish processing. But eventually, my RetroPie experience will be even cooler. Thumbnails!

Final Step: play da games. This UI is seriously slick, I love RetroPie so far. And the emulation is smooth and accurate. Thumbs way up!

10-firstboot.jpg 11-retropie.jpg 12-gijoe.jpg

I tried to be pretty complete, so hopefully the extremely long post doesn't scare anybody off. It was actually really easy.
    Last edited by Macheath; 08-12-2017 at 04:28 PM.

For the second time Walmart sent me an "Item in stock" alert for the SNES Classic.... but it's NOT in stock. :sadangel:

Quote Originally Posted by nynnja View Post
    For the second time Walmart sent me an "Item in stock" alert for the SNES Classic.... but it's NOT in stock. :sadangel:
    Maybe it wasn't a fluke, this site seems to think they were available at some retailers. Currently all those sites say it's not available except Target has a pre-order button that tells you it's "now out of stock" when you click it.