Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: RELIGION

Quote Originally Posted by nynnja View Post
    All I know for sure is that Adam named the dinosaurs 6,000 years ago.
    EVE: What should we call the one on the skateboard?

ADAM: COMPSOGNATHUS

EVE: ok
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'd say premise 1 is flawed/false anyway. You can't substantiate that it is true, and if you can't- then it fails. Moreover, we do have an innate desire to be powerful and invincible and pretty much undying(i.e. akin to superman).

I'll also point out that sending kids to church, youth group, making them pray at night, telling them as an authority figure that god exists, is externally conditioning them. Mom and dad tell them so- and why would mom and dad lie or say something that wasn't really true?

Lastly... this is really a rehash of the ontological argument. The "greatest conceivable being". I see them saying it isn't, but it is. It is like creationists relabeling there argument to be "intelligent design".

Because if I make my proof of god's existence sound sciency, then what I say must be true. I even used if/then hypothesis format for extra science points!
    Oooh, shiny!

Check out my gaming channel on Youtube! Streams, videos, and more right here!

I watched bits of this on and off, this debate between Bill "Science" Nye and Ken "Religion" Ham. It's really not very good, to be honest (the first segment, at any rate) but I appreciate Nye's patience. I wouldn't have as much. My incredulity and disdain would get me thrown off the stage -- which was, by the way, in a religious venue. Probably a hostile crowd, for that matter.

Here's the segment where they start going back and forth; two minutes for one to answer a question, one minute for the other to respond, then on to the next question. I highly recommend at least listening to the first full question. Ham's answer consists of "because God did it that way" and then about 1 minute and 45 seconds of praising God. Nye responds by describing one of the fundamental differences between science and religion, and does it very well: religion is satisfied with mystery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=z6kgvhG3AkI&t=1h50m30s

Edit: Oh my god, the second question (directed to Bill Nye) is absolutely infuriating. He gives a beautiful, thoughtful response... and then Ham comes in with the stupidest, smarmiest, smuggest counterargument imaginable. I'd have lost it.
    Last edited by Macheath; 02-05-2014 at 01:54 AM.

I'm just weighing in here. I couldn't care less what anyone believes, or doesn't believe, as long as they are good people. I'd say as a family we go to church 40% of the 52 weeks, it depends on if my wife gets us going in that direction Saturday afternoon, or Sunday morning. One of the main sticking points for me is when the church says "believe or suffer hell". I find it hard to believe that my dad, who is a very good person, but is an non-believer, would be punished for his non-belief. The overall meaning of church is be a good person, so why not.

Patton Oswalt nailed it with "Sky Cake".

Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    I watched bits of this on and off, this debate between Bill "Science" Nye and Ken "Religion" Ham. [/url]
    I just read this article about how they're really arguing different topics so it's pointless, but apparently Nye did a good job pointing that out.

Yeah, Nye kept answering questions like "what could make you change your mind" in the first two seconds (the answer is: evidence), then using the rest of his time to talk about how important science is to the economy, and subtly suggest that "we on the outside" do things a certain way, and speak directly to the impressionable younger viewers... because Kentucky is about to hand Ken Ham a shitload of money for his Jesus Museum. Clearly Bill had an ulterior motive in agreeing to the "debate."

Apparently Richard Dawkins objected to this debate (and others like it) occurring at all, but Bill Nye would rather not leave people like Young Earth Creationists to their own devices, and let their unscientific viewpoint grow like a cancer until it's able to force its way onto school blackboards. I can understand both their (Dawkins' and Nye's) viewpoints, but with respect to Mr. God Delusion, haughtily refusing to lend credence to a viewpoint by acknowledging its existence only works when you're in a position of power, which, sadly, science isn't necessarily at the moment in this country.

Quote Originally Posted by thumblewort View Post
    I'm just weighing in here. I couldn't care less what anyone believes, or doesn't believe, as long as they are good people. I'd say as a family we go to church 40% of the 52 weeks,
    Go to church, be religious, believe in Jesus. No skin off my nose. I made a mistake in referring to this as a "science versus religion" debate; it's not. It's science versus Young Earth Creationism, which is a belief system that happily flaunts its ignorance. In my opinion, science and religion can be reconciled with each other to whatever degree you find necessary to make them fit your personal philosophy, as long as you don't find yourself denying facts or defying reason -- but Young Earth Creationism is something that should be cut up into a million pieces and fed to a goat.

I worked with a dude who was part of the Earth is 6000 years old crowd. He mistakenly mentioned this to me, and I must of had a look on my face that said "WTF". He quickly asked if I had an issue in his beliefs, to which I replied that we shouldn't discuss religious beliefs at work. We are still friends today, and have never spoken of this again. I'd rather be his friend since he is a good person, then to abandon him because his views are wrong. Hell, I like deathmatch wrestling and violent horror movies, so I am sure folks choose to ignore that about me.

I don't think the point is that they are bad people, but those who try and push their beliefs upon others make talking with them difficult.
    Oooh, shiny!

Check out my gaming channel on Youtube! Streams, videos, and more right here!